MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #6586
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I am going to use turkey thermometers on my next build. However, for the life of me I cannot find the post or reference to the little inlet things that people use to insert the thermometer through. Does anyone remember what they are called or what to look for at the hardware store?
If you have access to a drill press, just get a ss bolt and drill it out to the diameter of the probe on therometer. Drill drum for bolt and use nut on inside.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #6587
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It works two ways. 1 is to "stretch" the capacity from 2 to 4 grill grates and 2 is for a rotisserie ring.
Like this?

Did you make that or did you get it from someone else?
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #6588
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

WA HOO, old honey drum is on its way. You guys are in so much trouble with my wife!
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #6589
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
If you have access to a drill press, just get a ss bolt and drill it out to the diameter of the probe on therometer. Drill drum for bolt and use nut on inside.
That isnt a bad idea. I wish I could remember where I saw the things I am thinking of. It was such a simple little thing that would work for thermos and temp probes
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #6590
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyzer View Post
WA HOO, old honey drum is on its way. You guys are in so much trouble with my wife!

She does not where we live

Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #6591
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D
Lightbulb

Hay ya'll this is a awesome forum I built a uds and have really read all the way to 290 pages! Well I've got it primed and almost ready to paint I'm seasoning it now, I have a question though my friend is a bad ass artist and my grandfather past about a month ago and I kinda want him to do a portrait of him and then when he's finished painting it with whatever paint he uses I go over his work with Clear engine paint enamel to lock it all in do you think it will seal it in and the picture will be ok to last. I'm not sure what kind of paint he will use for the portrait but I'm sure it will be like air brush stuff Thx ahead of time.
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #6592
D.F. Expat
Full Fledged Farker

If you want to be sure it will last why not look in to a powder coat finish on the drum, then your friend can paint whatever he wants on top of that?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #6593
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

I haven't found a pictorial yet of what the fire basket looks like when it is loaded. Some of have referenced the "menion method". Can you tell me what is the best way to set up your basket, and get it lit. I do not have a weed burner, so can it be lit, and then dropped into the drum? Keep in mind with your explainations, I am a rookie smoker. I have never used charcoal, only a gas grill. Thanks in advance! Pictures would be great.
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #6594
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Newbie View Post
If you want to be sure it will last why not look in to a powder coat finish on the drum, then your friend can paint whatever he wants on top of that?
Hu I don't know much about powder coating anything, I was just going to spray paint the drum white with white engine paint and then spray it with the clear coat engine paint.Is powder coating kinda cheap for a drum?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #6595
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I haven't found a pictorial yet of what the fire basket looks like when it is loaded. Some of have referenced the "menion method". Can you tell me what is the best way to set up your basket, and get it lit. I do not have a weed burner, so can it be lit, and then dropped into the drum? Keep in mind with your explainations, I am a rookie smoker. I have never used charcoal, only a gas grill. Thanks in advance! Pictures would be great.
The "Minion Method" refers to the act of putting lit charcoal on top of unlit charcoal and allowing the lit coals to slowly light the unlit ones over a long period of time.

The way I do it is to put about 4-5 lbs. of unlit coals mixed with whatever wood I want to use for smoking into the bottom of the basket. Then, I'll position the basket in the UDS where and how I want it.

Then, depending on how hot I want the temps to be, I'll put anywhere from 10 - 30 coals (if I'm using briquettes - lump is a little more by "feel") in a chimney starter and get them lit.

Once they're all ashed over, I simply dump the lit coals on top of the pile in the basket, open up my intakes and exhaust and let the temps get to where I want them. When they get a little above my desired cooking temp, I shut down everything except the exhaust and whatever intakes I know I need to maintain my particular temp.

Tout Fin and ready to cook in about 1/2 an hour.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #6596
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I use a chimney starter with 10 briskets then dump it in the basket.Hope this helps

Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #6597
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Start off with 10-12. It might take a little longer to get up to temp in UDS, bit i've found it easier than bringing temp down if it gets too hot.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #6598
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I've only done three smoking sessions and do not have either a weed burner or chimney. What I use is called Diamond strike-a-fire they look like giant matches.

I fill my fire basket with lump and some hardwood then strike one of the giant matches then place it on top of the lump then I place a few of the smaller chunks of lump on top of that.

After a couple of minutes I place the basket in my UDS and wait until the temp is good, place the meat and lid on , adjust my air intake.

Haven't had a problem yet.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #6599
N8man
Babbling Farker

Charcoal Basket Loaded...

Charcoal Lit then Ashed Over...

Charcoal Added to Basket For Minion Method Burn....

Hope this helps all.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #6600
D.F. Expat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
Hu I don't know much about powder coating anything, I was just going to spray paint the drum white with white engine paint and then spray it with the clear coat engine paint.Is powder coating kinda cheap for a drum?
It is worth calling around for, I was quoted between 50 and 200 bucks depending on what i wanted IE 1500 degree protection or basic. A basic powder coat will hold up fine at the temps we run on the drum though and it looks great. Unfortunately I had to move before I could get it done so I am now looking for a place here to do it.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker