Pastrami Pastrami Pastrami

L

Larry Wolfe

I bought a corned beef brisket flat, well at least that's what they call a flat. It actually had a point that was just about the same size as the flat! No biggie, so I separated them and soaked in water for 3 hours, changing the water every hour. Then coated them with fresh ground coriander seeds, fresh cracked pepper and a good amount of granulated garlic.
Fired up the Junior with Royal Oak and two small hickory chunks. D-plates in position, piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to catch the drippage. Set the Digi Q at 225*, 6 hours later I had pastrami! Very very good! Best one I've made!
3-22-08014.jpg
3-22-08017.jpg
3-22-08018.jpg
3-22-08021.jpg
3-22-08025.jpg
3-22-08035.jpg
3-22-08044.jpg
3-22-08046.jpg
3-22-08052.jpg
3-22-08071.jpg

Pastrami looks great! Just did my first last Monday and I am hooked. That sandwich looks killer. I would eat that for breakfast.

I just plugged in my biscuit chitter and the pastrami is going in soon. Lazy Q today. Didn't expect to get Saturday off.

WOW that looks great thanks for the sharing of the process

Time to go eat you made me hungry

I just had a follow up sammich for breffus and it's even better cold the next day! :mrgreen:

I just rubbed mine down and put them on the smoker. If anyone is wondering what makes Pastrami pastrami it's definately the corriander. It has a very unique Pastrami smell to it.

pastrami1.jpg
pastrami2.jpg

Two hours into cook. (please note superfast and accurate BLUE thermopen) In case you were wondering it's an FE100 Pellet smoker. I cooked the first couple of hours on the smoke setting which fluctuates from 160 to 180 degrees on my cooker. I just bumped it up to the 240 setting.

pastrami3.jpg
pastrami4.jpg

Looking good! I just picked up two corned beef points for $1.49 a pound. Gonna give this a shot next weekend.

I just rubbed mine down and put them on the smoker. If anyone is wondering what makes Pastrami pastrami it's definately the corriander. It has a very unique Pastrami smell to it.

pastrami1.jpg
pastrami2.jpg

I thought juniper was the "pastrami" ingredient

I thought juniper was the "pastrami" ingredient

Juniper berries are what makes Canadian bacon "Canadian" LOL. I just sliced my Pastrami. Tasted fantastic, but didn't look as nice as Larry's or Steve's, so no pics.

Pretty sure it's the coriander. When I ground it, it practically screamed 'PASTRAMI' at me. I thought they made Gin out of juniper berries ?

Correct. I've used gin to season Canadian bacon when I couldn't find Juniper berries.

Those are looking good!!! I agree, the coriander does make the pastrami, pastrami!! :biggrin:

Back