MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
grill 'em all
Full Fledged Farker

Not saying it won't work but sounds like complicating a time honored semi-simple process. While I would enjoy a few hours away from tending our stickburner I question keeping the cook chamber hot enough..Our UDS is very capable of maintaining a steady temp for hours on end..Waylon,however,just isn't wired that way..It is time consuming & requires near constant fire management(every 30-45 min.)..That being said it's not a pain in the arse to operate..Actually its very easy..I liken it to having a big block Chevelle with a small gas tank..Drives the same as anything else,just gotta take more fuel stops!

Give it a shot..Pass along what you come up with..

Good Luck!!
grill 'em all is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #17
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I use the method on the woodburner.org site in my wood stove at my cabin

I am not sure I would want that smoke on my food though.

It is not always TBS.

I dont know how you would control your heat very well either. Heating a cabin is one thing but cooking a brisket is quite another

I guess its worth a try. I dont know

my thought it if you want set and forget then use another type of cooker than a stickburner.
And everyone said,... AMEN!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been thinking that a way to make a stickburner work like a minion or gravity feed would be to use an external hopper. Wouldn't be easy to figure out but I think it could be done. My thinking goes like this:

Set up the firebox with a dropdown door/chute on one side. Next to it would be a hopper loaded with splits. A system would be set up that could, on sensing a predetermined temperature drop, open the chute and drop one split down the chute. Connect this door and hopper system to a motor/actuator that is run by an arduino processor http://www.arduino.cc/. This processor would be triggered by it's own sensor or get it's information from a digi-q that would be set up to run air flow. It would have to be set up in such a way that a drop would first be reacted to by the digi-q. If it failed to bring up the temp in a prescribed time frame then the next split would drop. Right now this is just a thought in my head. May one day see if it could actually be done.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag80n View Post
I have been thinking that a way to make a stickburner work like a minion or gravity feed would be to use an external hopper. Wouldn't be easy to figure out but I think it could be done. My thinking goes like this:

Set up the firebox with a dropdown door/chute on one side. Next to it would be a hopper loaded with splits. A system would be set up that could, on sensing a predetermined temperature drop, open the chute and drop one split down the chute. Connect this door and hopper system to a motor/actuator that is run by an arduino processor http://www.arduino.cc/. This processor would be triggered by it's own sensor or get it's information from a digi-q that would be set up to run air flow. It would have to be set up in such a way that a drop would first be reacted to by the digi-q. If it failed to bring up the temp in a prescribed time frame then the next split would drop. Right now this is just a thought in my head. May one day see if it could actually be done.
Stick burners need a clean burning fire. If i opened the door and chunked a split in (like the chute would- with no precision) the fire would smolder because the fire is not built correctly. It takes skill to maintain a clean fire, and a gadget has no skill. And if you wonder why us stick burners go to all this trouble? Because we enjoy it!
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
TropicDad
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Andy

It sounds like someone trying to get 50 mpg out of a full size pickup, if its 50 mpg you want buy a car rated for that. No offense its just a stickburner isn't designed for that. Low and slow, takes time to get that flavor.
TropicDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #21
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I guess the described technique of tightly packed wood, like for a long burn in a woodstove will technically "work", but I'm concerned about what kind of fire & smoke you will get? Like others have said the goal for a stickburner (at least my goal) is for a small, hot & clean fire with thin blue/clear smoke. I guess I'm envisioning a tightly packed firebox with air flow choaked down to burn for a long duration will result in a long burn with dirty white smoke; not the greatest for BBQ. I'll be interested in what you find out with your experiment.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #22
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill 'em all View Post
I liken it to having a big block Chevelle with a small gas tank..Drives the same as anything else,just gotta take more fuel stops!!!
Damn!! I don't know the last time I heard someone describe a car using the words "big block" Am I really that old?
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

One thing to think about with a woodstove is your not trying to maintain a certain temp or keep a clean burning fire the whole time. Some things are better left alone and I believe this is one of them. If you dont want or have time to tend a fire all the time look into a uds, pbc, cabinet, or pellet pooper type smoker and use the stickburner on days you have time to babysit.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #24
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A lot of wise words in this thread, like most.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Stick burners need a clean burning fire. If i opened the door and chunked a split in (like the chute would- with no precision) the fire would smolder because the fire is not built correctly. It takes skill to maintain a clean fire, and a gadget has no skill. And if you wonder why us stick burners go to all this trouble? Because we enjoy it!
I agree totally with you that it takes a clean fire. I am a stickburner and have been for years. I do it for two reasons. I enjoy maintaining the fire and, IMHO, it produces the best flavor. However, there are a few times when it would be nice to get the superior product a stickburner produces without having to tend a fire (at least not as much) such as when I have to do an overnight cook and go to work the next day. This seems to be what the OP was interested in. I am not saying it would be easy to design a working system and the question of fire quality had certainly come to mind. One solution I can think of for fire control is a system of guides and grates inside the firebox to help keep the fire in an optimal design. This idea may be more complicated than the OP wanted and I am not saying I will ever try it but it came to mind and I thought I would pass it along. Honestly I get fussed at by others for not being interested in getting a gravity-feed for competition but I just enjoy the process and taste of my stickburner too much - even if I am a little wiped out at awards

Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill 'em all View Post
Not saying it won't work but sounds like complicating a time honored semi-simple process. While I would enjoy a few hours away from tending our stickburner I question keeping the cook chamber hot enough..Our UDS is very capable of maintaining a steady temp for hours on end..Waylon,however,just isn't wired that way..It is time consuming & requires near constant fire management(every 30-45 min.)..That being said it's not a pain in the arse to operate..Actually its very easy..I liken it to having a big block Chevelle with a small gas tank..Drives the same as anything else,just gotta take more fuel stops!

Give it a shot..Pass along what you come up with..

Good Luck!!
If you and know one else will say it, here it is.... "It won't work...period".

I have been raised on and currently heating with wood for 35 years. To many nastys to off gas from wood. Charcoal is carbon after the nasties are burned off and burns clean.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #27
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorbait View Post
Hi All,

For those with stickburners, I think the consensus is that you have to add a split every hour or so (I've seed advice from 45 min to 90 min). And in many threads people talk about active fire maintenance is the biggest/only drawback to stickburners. So my question is this:

Are there any methods to get a longer burn with less maintenance from stickburning?

What I have in mind is this: what would happen if you filled a UDS basket with wood chunks (eg, use a bandsaw) and light from the top? No charcoal at all. Could it work for long cooks and need less frequent re-fueling?

I got the idea from this:

http://www.firewood-for-life.com/top-down-fire.html

When I light up my pit or pizza oven, I use this top-down method, and it works well. But I've always done it with splits on the grate. But what if one started with a basket with wood (not charcoal) chunks?

I've learned so much from this forum: I want to thank everyone in advance for your ideas.

Let the good ideas roll.....
Sorry to chuckle, but stick burners with a proper fire running only need attention every 4-6hrs. I get up twice in a night and usually just toss a large block on and head back to bed for another 4-5hrs.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #28
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #29
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag80n View Post
I agree totally with you that it takes a clean fire. I am a stickburner and have been for years. I do it for two reasons. I enjoy maintaining the fire and, IMHO, it produces the best flavor. However, there are a few times when it would be nice to get the superior product a stickburner produces without having to tend a fire (at least not as much) such as when I have to do an overnight cook and go to work the next day. This seems to be what the OP was interested in. I am not saying it would be easy to design a working system and the question of fire quality had certainly come to mind. One solution I can think of for fire control is a system of guides and grates inside the firebox to help keep the fire in an optimal design. This idea may be more complicated than the OP wanted and I am not saying I will ever try it but it came to mind and I thought I would pass it along. Honestly I get fussed at by others for not being interested in getting a gravity-feed for competition but I just enjoy the process and taste of my stickburner too much - even if I am a little wiped out at awards
I hear ya, and good on you for sticking with the stick burner. It's just that I ( and others) have a hard time understanding why folks spend so much time trying to get a square peg in a round hole.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
Sorry to chuckle, but stick burners with a proper fire running only need attention every 4-6hrs. I get up twice in a night and usually just toss a large block on and head back to bed for another 4-5hrs.
I'd be interested in your pit design. Mine would be cold after 5 hours.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
long cooks, Minion Method, stickburner