MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

I've never used one but just looking at them closely id go with Yoder

Old 07-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
pitboss02
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
I had the choice between the yoder and traeger a while back. I went with the timberline series and have not regretted it. The yoder is a great grill and was an industry leader, however, the timberline had some seriously cool new tech updates that intrigued me enough to buy it.

At that price you can afford the timberline 850 which still has more grilling space then the 640, however, if you extend the budget a bit you can get into the timberline 1300 which I have.

Top five reasons for me going timberline were the following

1. Wifire (wifi technology gives the ultimate control and ability to set it and forget it). Factor in the traeger app and cook cycles and recipe programs and that makes wifire such an awesome upgrade.

2. Double wall steel and door gasket. This thing is a tank and holds heats and is sealed tight for better pellet consumption and smoke

3. Downdraft technology. Smoke just lingers and adds such an amazing smoke profile compared to other pellet smokers I have used.

4. Super smoke - the biggest criticism of a pellet smoke is for their inability to hit a strong smoke flavour into their meat. Worry no more with the super smoke. I love the profile it imparts now on my meat.

5. 304 stainless grates x3 make for tons of room for large cooks. These are heavy duty grates and I couldn't be happier with them.

Traeger still doesn't provide direct cook for high heat, however the lower grate can go into a lower setting getting food closer to the source. Also the new timberline can hit 500 degrees now.

But like you said adding a kettle will be an excellent addition to any pellet smoker that you go with.
Yeah, but I think the Timberline 850 starts at $1700. Was trying to stay under $1500.
pitboss02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #18
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default Need your advice... YS, GMG, LG, RT, Traeg

I have a yoder and after owning ceramics, lynx gasser, stumps, Pitts and spitts offset, and various webers over the years, the yoder might be the most versatile of the bunch. One thing the yoder will do better than most any pellet grill is searing. Grill grate temps over 900 degrees if u want. It's built well and made in USA. What it doesn't do or have is a tight temp control (swings if 25 degrees are common if u manually adjust temps too much) and it doesn't have wifi etc. I hear many pellet grills with advanced pid controllers can keep a very tight temp range (5 degrees or less). Maybe that's why many say the smoke taste is light? After settling on lumberjack pellets (100% hickory and 100% cherry 100) I certainly don't lack for smoke flavor. In fact, I over smoked a pork loin yesterday:(.

I love the tech of the timberline, but no direct sear turned me off. If it had a direct sear like yoder, Memphis, etc, I might of bought the timberline as it seems really well built and has a lot of cool features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #19
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I have a yoder and after owning ceramics, lynx gasser, stumps, Pitts and spitts offset, and various webers over the years, the yoder might be the most versatile of the bunch. One thing the yoder will do better than most any pellet grill is searing. Grill grate temps over 900 degrees if u want. It's built well and made in USA. What it doesn't do or have is a tight temp control (swings if 25 degrees are common if u manually adjust temps too much) and it doesn't have wifi etc. I hear many pellet grills with advanced pid controllers can keep a very tight temp range (5 degrees or less). Maybe that's why many say the smoke taste is light? After settling on lumberjack pellets (100% hickory and 100% cherry 100) I certainly don't lack for smoke flavor. In fact, I over smoked a pork loin yesterday:(.

I love the tech of the timberline, but no direct sear turned me off. If it had a direct sear like yoder, Memphis, etc, I might of bought the timberline as it seems really well built and has a lot of cool features. I do not like the regular Traeger line. But have seen and cooked on a timberline and a yoder. Before the Timberline. I would have gone Yoder all the way.

I have friends that have Yoders.... They can't get 900 degree heat. They can get 600 but they both say they get fly ash all over thier food. They both use lumberjack pellets.
Also they both say that the Timberline with the double wall has huge advantage over theirs. Both are considering selling to get Timberline. As their friend has one. So they have experience with both.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #20
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstores View Post
I have friends that have Yoders.... They can't get 900 degree heat. They can get 600 but they both say they get fly ash all over thier food. They both use lumberjack pellets.

Also they both say that the Timberline with the double wall has huge advantage over theirs. Both are considering selling to get Timberline. As their friend has one. So they have experience with both.

My grill grates have been as high as 914 via infrared thermo. This is with the two piece deflector plate with the door out. Take it or leave it.

The timberline will never ever sear as good as a yoder. It's physically impossible without a direct sear solution. As I said, there is a lot of great tech with the timberline and the double wall lid is one example. No doubt it cuts down on pellet usage. But lack of direct searing killed it for me. At this point, the only other pellet grill I would consider over my yoder would be a Memphis elite, but that's also 300% more money

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #21
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
My grill grates have been as high as 914 via infrared thermo. This is with the two piece deflector plate with the door out. Take it or leave it.

The timberline will never ever sear as good as a yoder. It's physically impossible without a direct sear solution. As I said, there is a lot of great tech with the timberline and the double wall lid is one example. No doubt it cuts down on pellet usage. But lack of direct searing killed it for me. At this point, the only other pellet grill I would consider over my yoder would be a Memphis elite, but that's also 300% more money

Cooking directly over a fire pot on the yoder dripping grease scares me to be honest. 500 degrees with a timberline still indirect cooking is good enough for me. Why you would need to cook at 900 degrees makes no sense to me.

I have two Komodo Kamado grills that cost more than my last car lol, and they can hit 1100 degrees without issue. Because they can isn't reason for me to go there. I cook pizza deep dish at 475 and bake at this temp. I do regular pizza at 550 and sometimes steaks at 600 max!!!

If you really want to compare yoder direct cooking to timberline, there is nothing stopping you from removing the deflector with the grate in low position. That would get me some serious heat. But again, I don't like the idea of grease dripping over top of a burn cup but maybe that is just me.

Yoder has a pretty open temp swing compared to the +\-5 degree swing on the new timberline. Another plus for me personally.

With all that said the biggest turn off for me with yoder was that i have read so many stories about having to paint them and sand rust etc. I didn't want to get into that.

Quality machine, and it has a great reputation in the industry. Yoder is an excellent choice, however, the timberline is a great competitor in the market and worth a look. Being the new kid on the block, there isn't much info or fan following as of yet but give it time!! This grill is worth the buy

Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #22
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

You're smart to use a kettle for grilling. Only spend money on this once. Get a few hundred dollars more and get a mak 1 star.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #23
pitboss02
Found some matches.

So it seems like Yoder is the recommendation.

- Trager as the runner up?
pitboss02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

You said 1500. That won't cover the yoder with shipping and everything. If this is a lifetime cooler get something that's stainless. The powder coat/paint sucks on most of these cookers. Do you have any places out there that carry any of these pellet grills? I know we have a few Memphis dealers and there was a scratched one which didn't affect anything for 2k. That was local to me so no shipping which can get pretty damn high. Also assassin is set to release a pellet grill soon.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
unixadm
Take a breath!

I've owned the following pellet cookers:

1. Fast Eddy PG1000
2. Fast Eddy FEC100
3. Yoder YS640
4. Yoder YS1500
5. GMG DC WIFI
6. Traeger Timberline 1300

The best smoker flavor I got was from the YS640. Heaviest duty build quality is Yoder. The best support came from GMG with Cookshack being a close second. The best technology is in the new Timberline 1300.

Yoder - built like a tank (my YS640 had a pretty poorly fitting door) but had quite a number of upgrades, issues and were not efficient. Good smoke flavor in the YS640, not as good in the YS1500. Temps had a pretty big swing.

GMG - worked through a number of issues but the performance of the unit progressed with time. Decent smoker flavor, especially with later firmware updates. Temp swings were a bit high at times.

Fast Eddy - had some issues with the combustion dying off in the middle of the night. Good smoke flavor. If you dialed in the LHT/HHT on the PG1000, temp swings were pretty decent. The FEC100 did not have that option and had a bit of swing with the IQ4 controller.

Traeger Timberline - Decent build quality and heft. Technology is very good (WIFI/App) with very minor swings in temperature. Smoke output isn't as much as the other cookers but still sufficient at lower temps. Seems efficient and produces a good product. This is my newest cooker, so I don't have any real seat time with it yet.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #26
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

You said 1500. That won't cover the yoder with shipping and everything. If this is a lifetime cooler get something that's stainless. The powder coat/paint sucks on most of these cookers. Do you have any places out there that carry any of these pellet grills? I know we have a few Memphis dealers and there was a scratched one which didn't affect anything for 2k. That was local to me so no shipping which can get pretty damn high. Also assassin is set to release a pellet grill soon.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #27
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss02 View Post
Sorry Guys... I know this has been posted (or variations of this question) a million times.

I'm getting married in the fall and my fiancé has given me the green light for a grill/smoker. I can spend up to $1500 on one, so I want to take full advantage of the opportunity!

Relatively new to the smoking game, so I like the idea of the pellet smokers. Here's what I'm struggling with.

Yoder 640 - Love the idea of quality - US made
Louisiana 900 - Love the idea of the direct flame for searing
Rec Tec 680 - Reviews have this as best value
GMG Jim Bowie - Cost efficient for entry level smoking!
Traeger Pro 34 - Most "popular" option to the masses

- I will be using for hosting BBQs with up to 20-25 people.
- I value quality
- I want ease of use!

Any advice would be appreciated!

P.s. Might compliment this setup with a webber charcoal grill for searing, dogs, etc.
If you want to use it for grilling the Yoder might be the best choice. If you go the weber route for that, I think it's a harder choice. I like the heavy duty construction but have seen enough posts about paint issues and some pellet jams to be concerned. Paint I could potentially deal with but part of the value of a pellet grill is the ability to just let go without worry and so the jams would probably cause me to avoid it.

I would agree with your comments, I think Rectec is still great from a value perspective. It's a better deal than the original Traeger design. The Timberline ones though are interesting. I'm also personally tempted by the huge LG Champion at Costco just because of the capacity but it seems that folks are having to fuss around with them more than some of the other choices.

If I was buying today it would be between another Rectec or the Timberline. Again though, I don't need to grill on it.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
GMG, Jim Bowie, louisiana, Rec Tec, traeger, Yoder