MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #61
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Over memorial day weekend, after having a couple of beers while lighting the lump charcoal around a weber starter cube I realized that I didnt like the small open gap where a piece of lump could be.. The lump was still solid black and I had only lit the cube a couple mins before so I casually reached down to give it a gentle nudge with my middle finger to topple it into place...I instantly knew as my finger tip turned white that it was scorching hot, I'd lost some fingerprints, and that it'd hurt like hell the next day..
Needless to say, I now have a little hand held garden rake for moving lump around now

Mission accomplished...
uncblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #62
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

My first (BRA), BBQ Related Accident, occurred during the DR. BBQ Class that was held on Long Island back around 2006. It was a great competition class and everyone in attendance brought their own cookers so it was completely hands on. During the evening of the event I tripped in the parking lot and broke the bones in my right wrist. After the class I went to the hospital and ended up in a cast for several weeks. After a long recoup my wrist healed up.

My second (BRA) occurred while cooking for OBR after hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc on the East Coast. As Hoboken NJ. is just a few minutes from my home we loaded up the smokers and went to help. To make a long story short, I ended up breaking the bones in my left wrist during this event. This time it was really bad as it came along with major tendon and ligament issues. I was in several different casts from October 31 thru the first week of April. After all this time, the Orthopedic Surgeon said if things don't get better he will need to operate.

Who would have ever guessed BBQ could be dangerous.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #63
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

nothing to me yet but on a Friday morning at a competition my dad left a knife in a suddizy bucket blade up and slit his finger up pretty bad so I had to cook by myself (15 yo ) and got 15th in chicken and 2nd in ribs!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #64
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country BBQ View Post
nothing to me yet but on a Friday morning at a competition my dad left a knife in a suddizy bucket blade up and slit his finger up pretty bad so I had to cook by myself (15 yo ) and got 15th in chicken and 2nd in ribs!
Well shoot, boy! Y'alls can cook!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #65
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

I've moved black lump charcoal and burned the hell out my fingers, cut the tip of my thumb off with a meat slicer (who needs the guide?). But probably what probably caused the most pain was when I popped a small ghost pepper that I had smoked into my mouth. Who knew smoking didn't take the heat out? Almost had to go to the emergency room on that one. Hot hiccups are very painful. Milk and saltines worked a little. Then I had to experience the pain the next day if you know what I mean.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #66
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wood chunking mishap. Took a little side trip to West Point ER. No sooner they stitch him up, he goes right back to chunking that wood again. Determined little chit.

Frankenfinger

Ouch...
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #67
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
After hitting my Boner with the Steel
Is that a 7" flexible boner? That's what I have.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #68
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Ego; 4th competition. First competition 2nd, 5th, 11th and 17th if I recall, out of 50 some odd teams. Second competition, 2nd, 3rd, and other two in the teens out of field of 35+-. Third competition, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 5th, and would you believe it still RGC by a tiny fraction of a point. 4th competition, coming home... I've got this. Something went wrong on every single category; not one single thing.... Of the 35 teams we ended up 32nd I think. Brisket was our best at mid-teens and IMHO that was a gift... Humble pie; a heaping helping.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #69
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil c View Post
Lots of various bumps bruises and burns but the one that really stands out was when I was about 14 or 15.
We had one of those old round grills with the half hood on it like you would see in a leave it to beaver episode. So I was home alone and wanted a burger for lunch, poured in the charcoal and wouldn't ya know it, no lighter fluid,(I didn't know any better back then. So being an enterprising and resourceful individual I got about a 1/2 cup of mower gas and poured it on the charcoal. Now, I wasn't a total idiot back then, I knew the gas would flare. So I stood back about 5 ft and started flipping matches at it. 4th or 5th try WHOOOMP, she caught! and when it did that half hood focused all that fire right at me! I lost most of the hair off the front of my head. my eye brows and all the hair out of the inside of my nose. most of my face and my ears looked like I fell asleep in the sun, Or on the sun, no blistering but some peeling later. When the folks got home I was still soaking my face in a bowl of ice water.
Mom was worried and dad said later he didn't know wether to take me to the dr. laugh or whip my butt.
I ended up ok, no permanent damage. Just a stupid haircut for a while, and Dad never did whup me, but I never used gas again!!
I remember my high school physics teacher showing up for class with this look, seems he did pretty much the same thing. But really, a farking physics teacher?!

I've been pretty lucky, the worst thing that happened to me is when I bought a bottle of Jack Daniel's for a recipe and some sippin'. When I got home and opened the truck door it fell out and hit the garage floor. Yes, I cried.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #70
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

taking a few butts off of the wsm that my dad had wrapped earlier in the day. well, they weren't wrapped all that well and juices went right on my mesh tennis shoes.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #71
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I forgot about this one. We had friends over one night, and it was time to fire up the grill. I turn on the gas a little, and as soon as I do the wife hollers at me, so I had to run in to grab whatever ... NO, I'M NOT THAT STUPID. I know the gast had time to build up in the lid, so I opened the lid and let the air out. I hit the ingnition button and BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, I didn't give it enough time. It didn't do any damage, but I had burnt eyelashes, arm hair,and eye brows.

The wife knows to never holler at me when I go out to fire up the grill from now on haha

Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #72
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cack View Post
I forgot about this one. We had friends over one night, and it was time to fire up the grill. I turn on the gas a little, and as soon as I do the wife hollers at me, so I had to run in to grab whatever ... NO, I'M NOT THAT STUPID. I know the gast had time to build up in the lid, so I opened the lid and let the air out. I hit the ingnition button and BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, I didn't give it enough time. It didn't do any damage, but I had burnt eyelashes, arm hair,and eye brows.

The wife knows to never holler at me when I go out to fire up the grill from now on haha
Or to get you out of the bed in a hurry!!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #73
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
Is that a 7" flexible boner? That's what I have.
That's not what she said...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #74
TalonBrew
On the road to being a farker

From an angle grinder cleaning out the orange liner for my UDS. Took about 3 months to heal, and folks at work thought I'd tried to off myself. But since I work for an airline, that's usually what everyone assumes.....

Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #75
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsphan View Post
I wasnt exactly BBQing, but making a jerk marinade using jalapeño. I was all out of gloves and thought I had washed my hands well enough. Well I didn't and ended up getting it in my eye. This caused my nose to run and got it in my nose as well. I ended up with my face in a bowl of milk. Good times.
I've had several pepper incidents; but it wasn't my eyes or nose and it wasn't mere jalapeños. You'd thikn I'd learn my lesson after the first incident. BTW; soaking it a cold glass of milk helps but afterwards, be sue to dispose of milk properly.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote