MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Question Have black cherry juice, morello cherry preserves, + honey. Need ideas for a CHERRY flavored rib glaze.

Been stressing with an AC situation past several days ,
so thought I needed a diversion!

Picked up a package of spares today, and want to finish them off with a sweet glaze. It can be spicy sweet, but would love to have the flavor of cherry on them too. Have black cherry juice, morello cherry preserves, + honey here on the counter. Was thinking of starting with some of the juice, and reducing it down to about 1/2 consistency. Then adding some honey, + little lemon or apple vin for acidity. I also have on hand some homemade spicy apple BBQ sauce. Was thinking of adding a little of that, but not sure if that would detract from what I would like to have with the cherry taste.

Not looking for candy sweet that would detract from the ribs, but something a little special and sweeter than I would usually go.

Would love some suggestions and ratio amounts. Also have a pretty good spice cabinet for other needs to add.

Thanks!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd use the cherry juice, some of the preserves and add vinegar to taste before reducing. Cayenne wouldn't hurt either. Maybe a little worsy or soy too?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I'd use the cherry juice, some of the preserves and add vinegar to taste before reducing. Cayenne wouldn't hurt either. Maybe a little worsy or soy too?

Soy and worsy... good ideas! Add the vin before the reduction? ok.. can try that

Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
deguerre

Modified spatay sauce

Marinade:
1/2 cup cherry juice
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tbs soy or worsy or mixed
3 TBS cherry preserves
1 tbs turbinado or brown sugar
2 tsp fresh ginger or 1 tsp powdered
1 tsp cayenne

combine, bring to a boil then simmer until reduced to desired consistancy. It'll thicken a little more when it cools too.

Since I also had some cut up jalapenos (seeds and all) in the marinade it kicked the heat up a notch. Maybe add some chopped to the mixed ingredients before heating.

Double the ingredients if you need more - I think this wound up making a little less than a half cup.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Modified spatay sauce

Marinade:
1/2 cup cherry juice
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tbs soy or worsy or mixed
3 TBS cherry preserves
1 tbs turbinado or brown sugar
2 tsp fresh ginger or 1 tsp powdered
1 tsp cayenne

combine, bring to a boil then simmer until reduced to desired consistancy. It'll thicken a little more when it cools too.

Since I also had some cut up jalapenos (seeds and all) in the marinade it kicked the heat up a notch. Maybe add some chopped to the mixed ingredients before heating.

Double the ingredients if you need more - I think this wound up making a little less than a half cup.
Guerry, thanks for this! Ratios seem to be what I am going for.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Guerry, thanks for this! Ratios seem to be what I am going for.
Thanks Brian! I have to tell you, Michele has already let me know we WILL be making the original again, and again, and again...and now I want to try with the cherry too.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
WC BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I put up some brandied bing cherries earlier this year.... Now that's got me thinkin'. That could be a killer reduction sauce with a few special spices....
WC BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->