MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #9106
cgaskell65
Found some matches.

First UDS complete...thanks to this forum. 3 intake valves with 3/4" black pipe nipples with ball valves on each. 1 exhaust on lid is 2" bung hole with 8" pipe (also have a 12" pipe that i can switch out). Charcoal ring is a replacement grate for 22.5 Weber with 3/4" #9 expando bolted and tied to grate with SS wire. Charcoal ring sits 3 inches off bottom of drum on 4.5" tap screws (too long but oh well) with an 18" aluminum pizza pan 1" off the bottom of drum and 2" below charcoal grate. Messed around with temp control on seasoning run and still looking for that perfect spot to be able to walk away for hours (iQue110????).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0238.jpg (62.6 KB, 946 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0244.jpg (127.2 KB, 944 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0245.jpg (94.9 KB, 946 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0247.jpg (54.4 KB, 944 views)
cgaskell65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #9107
NU2QN
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I hope you burned out the dreaded red liner inside that drum!
Yes I did. It took about an hour to wire wheel it off and what a messy job that was. I took a picture of myself after I got done. Smokes Good. Great temp control.
NU2QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #9108
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Nice drum!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #9109
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, and what an appropriate logo for tonite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog's Smokewagon View Post
I used regular Rustoleum thinned with 15% acetone and sprayed 2 coats. It has held up perfectly. I used a magnectic Alabama Logo on the front and it has done fine too. I know a few on here have done the vinyl wrap for more elaborate looks. And they seem to work good.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #9110
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

That drum is looking pretty sweet, how tall is it ???????
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #9111
cgaskell65
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ View Post
That drum is looking pretty sweet, how tall is it ???????

Thanks. It is 34" tall.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #9112
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
The tire valve stems are sold in pairs for about $5 around here. Just remove the actual valve and the turkey fryer thermometer is a perfect fit.
Thanks for a great idea.

I just had to buy a new.valve stem for my trailer and 2 came in the package.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #9113
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

I can't take credit for the valve stem idea. It is buried in the 600+ pages of this thread somewhere. I read the whole thing (500+ pages at the time) taking lots of notes before starting my first UDS. I'm working on UDS #5 now and they all work fine. I did come up with using the upside-down basket for grilling on my own, although others are probably doing something similar. Just remember the KISS principle your first UDS. The original design works very well.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #9114
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
I can't take credit for the valve stem idea. It is buried in the 600+ pages of this thread somewhere. I read the whole thing (500+ pages at the time) taking lots of notes before starting my first UDS. I'm working on UDS #5 now and they all work fine. I did come up with using the upside-down basket for grilling on my own, although others are probably doing something similar. Just remember the KISS principle your first UDS. The original design works very well.
I thought I had read the entire thread as well. Did not male written notes, just mental ones.

Right now I just stick the turkey fryer thermometer through a small hole and use the clip that came with it to hold it in place. I think the valve stem would give it some more support.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber

Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #9115
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I see that most drums are about 35" tall but I'm starting to look around for one that is 39" tall I seen one advertised somewhere. I'm thinking the 4 extra inches would help on briskets and pork butt loaded up on the drum ....

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #9116
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ View Post
I see that most drums are about 35" tall but I'm starting to look around for one that is 39" tall I seen one advertised somewhere. I'm thinking the 4 extra inches would help on briskets and pork butt loaded up on the drum ....
To get that height, you can either find a dome lid and fit it, or get another barrel and cut it to create a lid that's maybe 12 inches tall that would add extra height. Or that cut up barrel you'd leave the top and bottom open and use the lid on top of it so it's just like an extension. This is what I'd like to do if I get OK at cutting and have a spare barrel.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #9117
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I was thinking it would make a difference having a couple more inches and you want to make sure the lower rack is high enough above the coal basket but I may have to find a couple of weber lids. I'd like to have to UDS so I'll have to start looking .......

Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #9118
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

I think the height is OK if you keep the heat low enough. That means your exhaust shouldn't be "too good".. meaning a single 2 inch pipe is causing for a bit more draft than needed. You need to keep a similar circular area but if you split it up into say 4 one inch holes, or two 1.5 inch holes on the side, you'll be able to keep that fire a bit lower.

However having a way to diffuse the heat below also works very well, but make sure to still allow that meaty goodness to drip into the fire.

I use angle iron pieces laid down on a grill grate and it's working great.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #9119
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaskell65 View Post
Thanks. It is 34" tall.
Did you get your barrel from a guy near Purceyville that advertises on CL?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #9120
cgaskell65
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Did you get your barrel from a guy near Purceyville that advertises on CL?
i almost did get one from the guy in Purcellville. I made contact with him and asked if he had one unlined. He hit me back a couple of days later and said he "thought" he had one. In those couple of days of waiting I found Bock Drum company in Norfolk, VA who sells new unlined drums for $70. My dad lives close, drove over and picked it up for me and then i grabbed it when we went to my parents' for Christmas. New for $70 vs. used for $40, so I went with the new. There is another drum co. in Baltimore that sells new unlined as well. If he did have a food grade one unlined I would probably buy one from him but from hearing the stories on here about getting the liner out it was worth the extra $30.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker