Oak, red vs. white

S

smokeinthenoke

Anyone use a lot of oak? Is there much of a difference in flavor/strength between red and white? How does it compare with Hickory?

Both Red and White Oak are good and generally thought to be milder than Hickory. All three have good BTU values for heat.

Both are great for smoke. Oak logs on a stickburner will kick up the temp a bit.
We prefer red oak for competition cooking. It really gives the meat a beautiful mahogany color.

Living in NJ we have easy access to red oak. I know they use post oak in Texas which from what I have read is white oak. I too am curious about the differences.

Red Oak is a common name and refers to a wide variety of trees. On the West Coast, it refers to a number of species that belong to the Live Oak family. In the East, it is a member of what is called the Red Oak family. Post Oak and several other oaks are part of the white oak family. There are minor differences, in so far as burning the wood is concerned. I have used white oak, french oak and live oak, and I believe I cannot tell the difference. In terms of smoke or burning characteristics, they are all very close in character.

One person told me long ago, that white oak burned hotter than red, otherwise they're the same.

I use both, not in a stick burner but cutting firewood up in fist size chunks for my WSM. I can't really tell a difference but they both sure work well with brisket. We have a BBQ place here that uses nothing but white oak for all their meats.

I use both Red and White exclusively in a stick burner. Both work very well and produce great results. The flavor is a milder than Hickory and you lesson the chance of over smoking your meat.

I use Red Oak and Pecan... I tend to use the Red more than white cause it's readily available to me like Pecan. I really can't tell the difference between Red and White oak as far as taste

Back