Plan to seal the smoker

CravinQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to seal the smoker section of my offset smoker today. From what I've read, Rutland's 500 or 600 degree sealant in a "calking tube" should do the trick.

I'll clean the area well, apply the sealant, let if cure a few moments, cover with wax paper, then close the lid. Let it cure until tomorrow and it should be good to go.

If anyone sees a problem with my game plan, let me know. I really don't want to use stove gasket because I find that stuff is brittle and will fall off eventually. Permatex is good stuff but the Rutland's is more readily available to me.

If I decide to seal the firebox, I may have no choice but to use a stove rope.
Let me know.

I've never used just sealant, I have used the NOMEX rope gasket.

Doesn't mean it won't work, just that I never tried it. Keep us posted on your results.

My Frankensmoker looked like a house on fire until I sealed it up with high temp Permatex. I did the same thing you outlined and it worked perfectly. Made a big difference in how the smoker behaved holding temps. While I am not familiar with the stuff you will be using, I had to let the Permatex firm up a bit before shutting the lid on it. That way it conformed to the lid edge without sagging.

I did this on my vertical cooker doors and it worked really well. Use a little extra to make sure it seals good. It can be trimmed after it dries. Use lots of wax paper. you don't want to glue your door shut.

A few years ago I was trying to get better performance from my old COS and between applying high heat calk to the gaps and cracks and a half of a turkey roaster for a heat deflector that old cooker did a complete 180!:wink:
Here's the stuff that I used, more or less the same as the Rutland.:-D
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-Industrial-Resistant-0809/dp/B000H5Q5VG"]Amazon.com: Red Devil RDL0809OI RD PRO Heat Resistant RTV Sealant 10.3 oz. 100% Heat Resistant, Red: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21U8wMvre1L.@@AMEPARAM@@21U8wMvre1L[/ame]

I've have real good luck using the flat self adhesive Nomex seal. You can get it in different widths and thickness. I've used the 1/8" X 1/2" on my USD and WSM. Cleaned the surface with mineral spirits and it has stayed on with no problems. You can check it out at bbqgaskets.com. Hope it's ok to post the site.

Thanks for all the tips. Obviously, there's several different ways to do it. I ended up putting Rutlands 600 degree (black, so no painting) and applying wax paper to the other surface.

I also purchased some Nomex clone peel and stick to apply to the firebox. I have some 2000 degree sealant to use in case the self stick stuff does't work. It's all curing right now and the real test will be tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tips.

Just letting everyone know that my smoker is sealed 100%. The $7.95 cauking tube of Rutlands 500 did it. I thought it was 600 degree sealant, but it's not. The "stove rope" on the firebox did an outstanding job too. Now I can concentrate on learning stick burning.

Just letting everyone know that my smoker is sealed 100%. The $7.95 cauking tube of Rutlands 500 did it. I thought it was 600 degree sealant, but it's not. The "stove rope" on the firebox did an outstanding job too. Now I can concentrate on learning stick burning.
Awesome! Let us know if you need any help with fire maintenance or anything else.
WARNING: Stick burning is HIGHLY addictive and there's no 12 step program for it!!! The Brethren however, is an excellent support group!:wink::p

Back