What's your move on steak?

smokin30-06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I recently tried a ribeye on the Primo. Kosher Salt right before cooking, 550* 1 flip, probably 7-8 minutes. It ended up medium-rare which is what I like. I really didn't like the thick crust though. It didn't seem to have much flavor either. I am used to cooking on the Hasty Bake at closer to 300* with the same methods, just a few more minutes at that temp.

I haven't applied it, but I just found this article on AmazingRibs.com about flipping. I love that site!
"Lopez-Alt decided to test the theory. He made a dozen 1/2 pound burgers and cooked them in a steel skillet heated to 450°F. He flipped some often, every 15 seconds in some cases, and others he flipped only once. He took them all to an internal temperature of 125°F (medium rare and well under the USDA recommended safe temp) and then rested them for five minutes at room temp. Sure enough, the patties that were flipped more often cooked in 2/3 the time, the edges were more brown, and the color was more even top to bottom. The single-flip burgers got a little darker on the outside, but had a thicker layer of well done and overcooked meat under the surface, up to 50% of the thickness! That number fell to 40% when flipped every minute, 35% when flipped every 30 seconds, and 30% when flipped every 15 seconds."

Anyway, what is your move on steak? How do you prep? How do you season? What temp do you use? How often do you flip? Do you reverse sear?
Thanks,
John

Reverse sear.
Flip every 20-30 seconds when going sear.
For me personally I like olive oil, salt, pepper.

Finish with a compound garlic butter.

Sautéed onions and shrooms in said garlic butter.

I also like marinating in teriyaki sauce sometimes also.

MMMMmmm Steak!

For thick steaks-2 inches +, reverse sear all the time.
For thinner ones, I have been playing with the method Adam Perry Lang advocates i a couple of his books. High heat, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes flip, 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip, off fire for a 1 minute rest, then check temp. Back on fire for another 1 minute rotation, repeat till desired internal temp is reached.
This is a little fussy, but it results in a steak with a very nice sear, and a perfectly even color inside. I shoot for 120 degrees internal to remove from fire. Carry over cooking will be more with this method, and I personally am looking for a final temp under 130.

I have recently went to the reverse sear on steaks also. I don't buy anything unless it's 1.25" or thicker as I like medium rare to rare. I flip several times, never understood the single flip theory. I do the searing earlier and finish away from the intense heat. For me if I pull the meat at anything north of 100 degrees and let them restI'm usually happy.I put a relatively light dusting of Head County rub on it ahead of grilling by several hours. I end up with less grey meat next to the seared outer using that method and wished I'd have tried it earlier. If I try to time the sear just right at the end of the procedure I run the risk of over cooking the meat and that makes me mad as a wet hen.

Mike

For thick steaks-2 inches +, reverse sear all the time.
For thinner ones, I have been playing with the method Adam Perry Lang advocates i a couple of his books. High heat, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes flip, 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip, off fire for a 1 minute rest, then check temp. Back on fire for another 1 minute rotation, repeat till desired internal temp is reached.
This is a little fussy, but it results in a steak with a very nice sear, and a perfectly even color inside. I shoot for 120 degrees internal to remove from fire. Carry over cooking will be more with this method, and I personally am looking for a final temp under 130.

I love this APL method. I baste it after every flip, too. Lots of work, but a beautiful finished product!

Reverse sear caveman. I season my ribeyes with a local seasoning found around here...good stuff. Then cook indirect with a pecan chunk until 105 or 110F and caveman 90 seconds per side. That's with a 1+ inch steak tho.

Rest 5 minutes.

Unclejj:
The basting is a nice touch. I usually leave it out, as I sort of a purist with steak. Normally only salt before cooking, and a light baptism of evoo while it is resting.

Reverse sear- when direct flip 4 times to get cross hatch grill marks. I also don't put the lid on when searing so I can watch for excessive flare-up. One last note, don't flip until the meat releases from the grill on it's own. If you try to pull it up and it's still stuck don't move it, wait until it's ready. Good eats every time!

So was it 550* in combination with 1 flip that took the flavor from my recent steaks? What grill temp do you guys shoot for?

I continuous sear.Just over one inch thick rib steak.FILL my SJS with lump so it's actually touching the bottom of the cooking grate.Let it all get red hot.Throw in some wood.Montreal Steak Seasoning and onto the grate.Two or three minutes a side with a couple flips for even cooking until it hits 130.Remove and rest.

So was it 550* in combination with 1 flip that took the flavor from my recent steaks? What grill temp do you guys shoot for?
I don't think so. I cooked steaks like that for 50 years. If you like the method, try again, could just be less than best piece of meat. That does happen.
As for cooker temp, I never even check it, as long as it is HOT. What Yellowtail said about getting the hot coals close to the cooking grate. I am happy with flames licking my meat around the edges.:shocked:

sear then cook indirect. i use olive oil, s&p, and a hint of garlic powder.

Flipping/turning often.

Steak come out perfect in the middle with an even cook all the way around, almost like a seared tuna loin.

K salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic paste (made with fresh garlic, minced then ground into a paste with the edge of my chef's knife). On screamin hot fire, 1/4 turn, flip, 1/4 turn, off to rest.

Haven't cooked a steak in WAY too long. :hungry:

Caveman no seasonings 2 min a side finished with a sprinkle of sea salt and dollop of roasted garlic & basil compound butter or I do a *redneck twist on Steak au proive.

*Sub out Southern Comfort for the Congac.

I really have no idea how this combination would take the flavor out of your steak. Either you got some bad meat, yes, I have had meat that is very unflavorable, or you didn't season it enough. I would venture to guess that most people here cook steak in the 450-700* range, 550, being pretty much in the middle, and flip only once. I myself am in this camp.

Like most here, if the steak is thick, I may do a reverse sear, and I cook at a lower temp. If it is thinner, than I cook hotter and much shorter. Flipping once is typical for me, but I have flipped more often. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I've cooked thousands of steaks and don't give it much thought.

This is a porterhouse steak, that won the Porterhouse Master Series, flipped only once and loaded with flavor. It also does not suffer from being overcooked at the edges that others mention, unless I'm missing something.

1562781_Completed_Gore.jpg

Also, if you want a steak cooked uniformly, then take it out of the fridge an hour or so before cooking and let it come to temp on the counter. If you want it red and cold in the middle, then cook it directly out of the fridge. There is no right or wrong, only your personal preference.

I try to only buy thicker steaks, but every once in a while the wife will grab them and they will be less than an inch. Wife does a great job of seasoning them. Not sure everything she uses, but I know it's got season salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and some mystery Korean beefy powder.

For thick steaks, I am now a reverse sear fan. I do steaks on our Genesis gasser. Left burners on high with flipped Grill Grates (griddle side up) above them, steaks on the right coming up to temp. Once steaks hit about 110*, throw them on the Grill Grates and listen to them scream. Keep flipping every minute. Pull mine after a couple of flips, pull wife's after a couple more flips. Thin steaks go directly to the Grill Grates and come off after a couple flips.

Serve with grilled onions and mushrooms or maybe a salad...

That looks amazing! I am going to have to cook like 10 steaks on 10 fires to try all of this advice. To bad I can only eat one dinner per day!

Maybe it was bad meat. It looked good though. Choice ribeye from Reasor's. Their meat is usually pretty good. I just saw your Primo in your sig. Can you post in my Primo Primer thread too?

Caveman no seasonings 2 min a side finished with a sprinkle of sea salt and dollop of roasted garlic & basil compound butter or I do a *redneck twist on Steak au proive.

*Sub out Southern Comfort for the Congac.

I am gonna have to try that substitution.
Thanks

Back