Big ol pork loins.

Bluehawg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Saw some of the biggest dang loins I've ever laid eyes on yesterday at the Wally World. I swear these things must have been cut from a dang hipperpotomas! I didn't have the money in the pocket to snag any cause of the purse strings issue being so broke that if someone mugged me they would just be practicing, but man did I want to. These things were an average of 32 + inches long and every bit of 6" in diameter. I know you can grow a hog that big but most of the loins I've seen in the market have been MUCH smaller. These things were so big I would have probably had to cut them in half or either cook em in a U shaped pattern to fit on my current grill/smoker. If I would have been able to snag one and fix it up right I would have been in Hog Heaven for sure!:thumb: I have NEVER seen a 15 lb. loin in any meat counter around here before. That I can guarantee you for certain.

Wish I could have gotten a pic or two to post up for ya'll but didn't have my phone with me. Might try to roll some coins or something and scrounge up enough to get one this weekend provided they aren't sold out.

Which Walley World did you see those at, Petal or Hattiesburg?

Just keep in mind that almost everything that WM sells related to fresh meat is all enhanced with a sodium solution of up to 12%. If you bought pork loins from WM, they are probably injected with a bunch of nasty stuff.

That's why most educated BBQ'ers don't buy their meat at WM. The stuff is already brined at checkout and the brine isn't what most folks at home would use.. :twisted:

Just keep in mind that almost everything that WM sells related to fresh meat is all enhanced with a sodium solution of up to 12%. If you bought pork loins from WM, they are probably injected with a bunch of nasty stuff.

That's why most educated BBQ'ers don't buy their meat at WM. The stuff is already brined at checkout and the brine isn't what most folks at home would use.. :twisted:
I can't remember if it said they were enhanced or not but I want to say that they were labeled as all natural. If memory serves me correctly I believe they were Smithfield Farms brand.

I can't remember if it said they were enhanced or not but I want to say that they were labeled as all natural. If memory serves me correctly I believe they were Smithfield Farms brand.

Smithfield farms products are for the most part enhanced. Check the labels carefully for something that says "Enhanced with --% sodium phosphate solution for tenderness" or something similar.

I know WM recently started to launch local meat products in select few local regions, but most of the country still gets the enhanced, mass produced stuff. The only meat product that isn't enhanced in my local WMs is packer brisket, and they are often times choice grade for the price of select (a great deal IMO).

I picked up a 10lb pork loin at Sams this past weekend and they are huge I wanna see the hogzilla those things come off of. One loin can feed a family for a week.

Back