MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #16
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

What mixture of tree turds have you been using Todd?

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

... slightly weird question ..... can you tell which tt's are in the bin if you don't know what went in? ( assuming it's only one type ...not a mix). I have not tried to smell them closely to try to tell. There was about 2/3 bin full when I brought 075 home and I wasn't sure what they were. I might forget between cooks ... maybe it's a good idea to scoop out most of any remaining tt's and put them back in the bag?
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyQ
What mixture of tree turds have you been using Todd?
For comp, catering, and concessions we've been using straight oak. Oak turds are the cheapest. Not until I got my 075 a couple weeks ago have we even had any other flavored pellets to work with. I have a bag of apple and a bag of hickory. Still experimenting. I can't tell a whole lot of difference from the oak to the hickory and apple. Looking forward to trying some Cherry. When using real wood, I love a little cherry with hickory. Mostly, I like the color that cherry wood gives. Want to see if Tree Turds will give the same color.

One long time, successful pellet team (Not Pellet Envy ) shared with us that they use like a blend of oak, hickory, and apple. I think about 20% each for hickory and apple.

I think a blend is the way to go and am planning to fnd that blend this winter. Tonight, I used about 80% apple and 20% hickory blend on our pork chops. Wife was in heaven. Said it was the best chops she's ever had. I'd have to agree. I simple rubbed a little EVOO, Traeger Pork & Poultry Shake (came in the Traeger spice sampler), fresh ground pepper, and a little kosher salt. Smoked for 30 min and then kicked it up for about 45-60 more. Nice color. Nice flavor. Real juicy. Smoke smell and a little bitty smoke ring. Perfect.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #19
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Egg
... slightly weird question ..... can you tell which tt's are in the bin if you don't know what went in? ( assuming it's only one type ...not a mix). I have not tried to smell them closely to try to tell. There was about 2/3 bin full when I brought 075 home and I wasn't sure what they were. I might forget between cooks ... maybe it's a good idea to scoop out most of any remaining tt's and put them back in the bag?
Generally, I can't. My oak pellets are from a different maker. They are longer in size than my apple and hickory. So I can generally see the oak from the size, but I think that's because of the two different brands. The apple and hickory look the same. They don't smell to me. Just like two pieces of wood generally won't smell different until you burn them... at least to me.

Slightly off topic, I do a lot of woodworking and have worked with Zebrawood, an African exotic wood. The saw dust smells like manure. Very distinct and stinky.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #20
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

First time out I used pecan and apple mix 50/50 on 1" thick pork chops, worked out fantastic, smooth flavor. Need to get some oak to mix in so I don't waste my fruit turds (sounds funny), what brand of oak are you using Todd?

Sloppycreek Comp team

KCBS CBJ #9715
One FEC 100

Old 11-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #21
Plowboy

Quote:
First time out I used pecan and apple mix 50/50 on 1" thick pork chops, worked out fantastic, smooth flavor. Need to get some oak to mix in so I don't waste my fruit turds (sounds funny), what brand of oak are you using Todd?
Pecan is on my list to try for sure. The Oak that I have is OHP - Ozark Hardwood Products.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #22
Plowboy

Quote:
The best deal is to buy an entire pallet. Of course, that's a lot of pellets. But if you go in on a group buy, then you save some $$.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #23
Solidkick

Nice job guys.......very informative....and I'm sure the thread will continue to grow.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #24
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
.... raises an early question for me about starting with fruit (or a mix) and then switching to oak for the longer cook time. That means more 'manual intervention', but maybe it is worth it. May also depend on my access to Ozark Oak tt's. Looks like Wyoming is the closest source.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #25
Plowboy

Quote:
.... raises an early question for me about starting with fruit (or a mix) and then switching to oak for the longer cook time. That means more 'manual intervention', but maybe it is worth it. May also depend on my access to Ozark Oak tt's. Looks like Wyoming is the closest source.
I don't have the timing down on how long a hopper full of turds will last. For long cooks on a 075, you are going to have to refill at some point. Start with the fruit, hickory, and pecan turds then top it off with Oak on the back end of your long cook.

I'm cooking some thighs for lunch and a pork butt for the teachers at my sons' school. They go to an English-Spanish speaking preschool. I'm trading some BBQ for tamales. I've loaded it up with 50% apple and 50% hickory. Once my hopper drops down toward the bottom, I'll start putting Oak in to finish the pork butt.

I took some pictures of my pellets both seperate and mixed. You'll see that you can only tell a difference in the oak... a different vendor. I'll post in a bit.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #26
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Q you can get them from Traeger also. They suggest you use theirs anyway.

Sloppycreek Comp team

KCBS CBJ #9715
One FEC 100

Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #27
Plowboy

Quote:
Looks like Wyoming is the closest source.
Why not sign up as an OHP distributor? If you have the space, you could buy a partial pallet and share or sell with others in your area.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #28
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I have been using Branch Creek pellets, the hickory and cherry blend, and love them.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #29
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread guys, I am learning alot. Thanks.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Wow . . .glad to see there is so much talk about pellets and pellet cookers. I have not read the entire thread, but I will tomorrow. To answer the questions about pellet blends and types of wood. I started out using a Pennington pellet that Fast Eddy sells. They are 60% hickory, 40% oak. Since, I've tried just about everything under the sun. Blends, straight fruit woods, Osage Orange (hedge), you name it. I always go back to that original blend for two reasons. One, you need a wood with high btu output. Oak is excellent for that. Hickory is pretty good too. When I cook with 100% fruit wood, my cooker burned significantly more fuel without noticeable different in taste. Which is my second reason. Pellet cookers burn fuel more efficiently than most other pits. So, the different woods just don't change my flavors enough to warrant cooking with them. In fact, they pretty much smell the same. So, dance with the one that brung you, and for me, it's that original 60% hickory, 40% oak blend. Plus, they're cheap!

Good question Todd. Hope this helps answer it.

Rod

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote