MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Default Baking pulled pork sammies?

Hi,

Does anyone bake their own pulled pork sammies? I know there is no point generally, but I haven't found any commercial buns here in Finland that would be good with pulled pork.

The thing is, all our buns are fluffy and somewhat dry/hard, just like burger buns, and none are squishy and somewhat soft. I don't really like those dry burger buns with pulled pork.

What's the secret of making squishier buns? Oil?
rikun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I baked some pulled pork in a Portuguese sweet bread roll. If you don't want the pulled pork inside you can just make the rolls then slice, they go really well with PP. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=129648&page=2

Sponge
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 packets active dry yeast
1/2 cup bread Flour

Dough
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
7 1/2 to 8 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk (room temp save the 1 egg white for wash)

Egg wash
1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water

The sponge: Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water Stir in the flour and set aside until it rises and is bubbly.

The Dough: Scald the milk. Remove from the heat and add the butter, sugar, salt and lemon peel. Stir to dissolve and then let the mixture cool a little. Beat the eggs until frothy. Add them and the milk mixture to the sponge. Stir in 6 to 7 cups of flour, one cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough, adding only enough flour to keep the dough from sticking. When the dough is smooth and satiny (about 10-15 minutes) place it in an oiled pot. Cover the pot with plastic wrap and a towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours. Punch the dough down and knead again for about 5 minutes flatten the dough then fold it several times cover at let ride again in the pot for another hour

Remove dough and cut off pieces to form as rolls slit the tops, brush with egg wash and let proof for another 45 minute to an hour. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes (rolls) and the loaf 35 minutes (loaf).

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Last edited by Will work for bbq; 05-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Recipe
Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

This how I make them. Nice and fresh and oh so good. Sorry I don't have the Metric equivalents. I should ask my Belgian wife to translate the recipe.

2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Talk to your favorite baker, if you can describe what you want many of them will do a custom run for you. Take something they have that is close and tell them what needs to be different, if they are any good they'll know what to change to get what you need. Good luck!
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The secret to a soft & tender crumb is using milk. Give this recipe a try I think it will fit what your looking for.

1 cup milk
3 tbl butter
2.75 - 3.25 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast
1 egg

Warm milk and Butter in a sauce pan to 100 deg
Pour into a bowl with sugar salt yeast the egg and 1 cup of the flour stir until well incorporated for 2 min
Slowly add the enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough
Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and Knead for 2 min
Place the dough in to a greased bowl cover and allow to rise until doubled in size (about 1 hr)
Punch down the dough form into a ball and divide into 6 portions cup the dough in the palm of your hand and place your hand on the board to cradle the dough roll in a circular motion until it is tight & firm repeat with the remaining portions.
Lightly grease each ball and flatten to a disk in your hand place the disks on a lightly greased pan equally spaced about 3" apart press your thumb into the center of each disk to make an indentation. cover and allow to double in size about (30 min)
Bake in a preheated 400 deg oven for 15 min.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Sometimes you can soften bread up quite a bit by nuking it for 10 seconds.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buns, pulled pork, sammies, sandwich, squishy