first brisket this weekend... tips anyone?

Oops, I always cook packers in the 9-12 pound range after trimming. Which means I am buying 14 to 16 pound packers. I will buy a select over a choice to get the weight I want. I don't like small packers, and I rarely see anything over 16 pounds untrimmed.

I also rarely run cooks below 275F, as my cookers prefer to sit there. The last cook, a 11 pound trimmed choice angus, the kettle just would not come up to anything over 250F, it cooked there for 8 hours and 1 hour at 400F, it was just fine.

Ok , so I'm learning yet another new thing here , my packer is 14.1 pounds. That was weighed in the crypack , with all the blood and the fat. I only expected to lose maybe a pound trimming. According to this it may be more like 3 or 4 pounds?

I trim all external fat but 1/8" of the fat cap. There is a large chunk of fat between the point and flat, I take all of that out. I also trim the thin edges as I dislike how they cook. I tend to square the sides of the brisket up a bit. I peel any silverskin left on the underside of the flat as well. So yes, a lot of waste comes off a packer in my cooks. Easily 2 and sometimes more than 3 pounds.

brisket5.jpg

If you look at that slice above, you can see that the flat does not have the real thin edge, plus, you can see how little fat was left on the fat cap. That is typically what I am doing with a packer now, so there is both fat and lean removed during the initial trim, and well, you can see there is no silverskin on the side where there is no fat.

Apparently I've been lucky, or packers are trimmed prior to cryo in my area because I've never had the silver skin on one of mine. Chucks, yes, but so far (Knock on wood) not a brisket.

I haven't opened mine yet , but it looks like it does have a LOT of fat in the package. If I am feeling like it I may take some pics of the whole process and start a thread , really depends how many beers I have between now and then.

Here's an idea, just for kicks, and since we are talking trimming already. Take all of those trimmings and go ahead and rub them, yep, large fat chunks, bits of meat etc...when you put the brisket on, also put these in a pie pan and put them on. As they cook, they will develop a bark and get plenty of smoke. Let them cook until they form that nice bark and remove them.

Now, bring them inside and throw them in a pan, decent sized one, add 3 cups of water and 2 cups of beef broth (I use the fancy stuff in a box now) and let the whole thing simmer until reduced by 1/4. Add 1 cup cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of rub. Let simmer again until reduced by 1/4. Remove and throw a handfull of ice in, immediately strain, Most of the brisket fat will come out, but, enough smoky, fatty, meaty jus will be left to add to the drippings to make a nice dip or sauce. Now, if you are not a 'no sauce person' you can add 25% by volume of blue agave syrup or 15% by volume of light corn syrup. And you have a great tasting brisket/pork sauce.

What a grand idea, why didn't I ever think of that. Now if I can convince this one to for go her treats.
PHOT0245Modified.jpg

Start with this -

picture.php

Remove the fat between the flat and point to get to this -

picture.php

Remove the fat and sinew from the top of the flat to end up with this -

picture.php

Removing fat and sinew increases bark production. It's a good thing (Martha Stewart mod).

Boshizzle, you leave that little bit of silverskin on? I have been taking it off, and I think it improves the cook. You also left off a step on your meat there, the fork raking of the meat.

I just can't give up the fat cap.

Mine hit the drum at 630 am 215 degrees , thin blue smoke. At 730 I cranked the heat to about 300. It has been fluctuating between 295 and 325 since then. It sure is spewing a lot of juice , I have a clay saucer as a diffuser and it probably has 1/2" of liquid in it that dripped out of the brisket in only 3 hours. It kind of makes me wish I had used a pan or something on my second grate to collect the drippings.

thanks for all the tips guys, the wsm is coming up to temp now (at 2.30 am), full of stubbs charcoal,apple, and peach. the brisket is seasoned with garlic powder salt, pepper, and a little bit of low sodium montreal steak and will be on the wsm soon.. pron later today

Pardon my squirrely ignorance, but how does one know one has "good bark??"

Thanks,
Little Dick

Does your bark taste good? Dark and flavorful, crispy but not too chewy. You just *know* if you have good bark . . . :icon_smile_tongue:

Back