MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #7066
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Christopher_ View Post
What advice do seasoned UDS owners have when it comes using their UDS in the winter to maintain proper temperature?

I have a stack of bricks and I was thinking of building up the bricks around the UDS to act as a seasonal wind break and maybe help stave off the heat radiating off the UDS.
Your in Texas right?? What are we talking a bone chilling 42°?

I don't know how to cook on a UDS in Texas during the winter but up here in Montana we just open the intake slighley and give her a little more air. it will cook just the same all year long, no changes needed. Oh, but you do have to shovel it out of the snow so you can see your thermometers
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #7067
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgassaway View Post
Oh, but you do have to shovel it out of the snow so you can see your thermometers
Insert Weed Burner here
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #7068
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Christopher_ View Post
What advice do seasoned UDS owners have when it comes using their UDS in the winter to maintain proper temperature?

I have a stack of bricks and I was thinking of building up the bricks around the UDS to act as a seasonal wind break and maybe help stave off the heat radiating off the UDS.
I actually built mine inside a larger, 85 gal drum that I use as a "shell":

There's another Brother here - Smokin' Joe - who did the same thing (I shigged his idea ) The biggest difference is his is insulated with rock wool and mine just uses the air gap as an insulator.

I can lay my hand on the outside of the drum anytime during a cook and just hold it there. It gets warm, but not hot enough to burn and the shell does a good job of keeping it from losing heat to the wind or rain.

The lid is still an issue. I haven't come up with a way to insulate the lid yet that I'm willing to try.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters too much though.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #7069
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I can lay my hand on the outside of the drum anytime during a cook and just hold it there. It gets warm, but not hot enough to burn and the shell does a good job of keeping it from losing heat to the wind or rain.

The lid is still an issue. I haven't come up with a way to insulate the lid yet that I'm willing to try.

It seems to me that simply giving it more intake air should make up for the heat loss through the side of the drum. Of course, your charcoal won't last as long because you're losing all of that heat...
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #7070
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I actually built mine inside a larger, 85 gal drum that I use as a "shell":

There's another Brother here - Smokin' Joe - who did the same thing (I shigged his idea ) The biggest difference is his is insulated with rock wool and mine just uses the air gap as an insulator.

Do like I did...get some furnace gasket or stove gasket and some hi temp silcone and glue it to the lid, let dry and fit on drum. see pic.....

the bolts you see sticken up are to hold my lid on my drum ad the lid is a tad small. The bolts are angled in so they go inside the drum and the gasket seals it to the drum. see drum:

if you look close you can see the gasket in this pic.

Just my solution..............

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #7071
bbrewster
Found some matches.

I am thinking of building a UDS this winter...in fact I think I am beyond "thinking" about it at this point.

Here's my question....I have limited (actually none) welding skills...is this a sane project for someone like myself???

(Paul...that is one SHARP stainless UDS!)
bbrewster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #7072
brunski
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrewster View Post
I am thinking of building a UDS this winter...in fact I think I am beyond "thinking" about it at this point.

Here's my question....I have limited (actually none) welding skills...is this a sane project for someone like myself???

(Paul...that is one SHARP stainless UDS!)
Well, i had no need to weld anything - here is what i did: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=6879

then some mods: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=6980

The only change i'd do is, when i built my charcoal basket i used plastic zip ties then i had to cut them off, next time i'll use steel zip ties and leave them there.

It was easy build - i'm ready to start with a second one.

And believe me when i say - if i could do it, anybody can. I have not building skills of whatsoever.

Hope it helped

Brunski
brunski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #7073
jkalach
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Veg oil drum

I have a chance to pick up a closed drum that contained "food product" oil. The seller says it was vegetable oil and that the drum is not lined.

My question is can I cut off the top, build, season and go or do I need to wash out the barrel first and then season with something else? Thanks.
jkalach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #7074
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Do like I did...get some furnace gasket or stove gasket and some hi temp silcone and glue it to the lid, let dry and fit on drum. see pic.....

the bolts you see sticken up are to hold my lid on my drum ad the lid is a tad small. The bolts are angled in so they go inside the drum and the gasket seals it to the drum. see drum:

if you look close you can see the gasket in this pic.

Just my solution..............

Paul B
SS UDS
Love your SS Drum, Paul.

My lid seals fine, that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about insulating the lid.

There's still only one layer of metal between the inside of the drum and the outside. Since heat rises and a lot of your convection loss is going to be through the dome, finding an easy way to insulate the lid would go a lot further to reducing heat loss (and hence fuel consumption) than insulating the sides.

One thing I did consider, was using two of these cones:

http://www.westtexasfeedersupply.com/lidsfunnels.htm

One for a 55 set inside one for an 85 with expanding fire-retardant foam insulation between them.

Not sure how it would work, but just thinking about it....
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #7075
boakley
Found some matches.

Default 3 vs 4

Quote:
I've got mine on three all steel casters. It's plenty stable.

I think the key may be in the size of the caster used. I like the low profile of the casters you used. Keep the center of gravity as low as possible and I am guessing it may be pretty stable. The only downside to low profile casters is not being able to (conveniently) engage the lock on a locking caster.

Thanks for the pict Southern Home Boy.
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #7076
snorulz

well, up to page 300, had I discovered this thread a year ago, I would be done reading already!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #7077
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
This one?
http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-...amp-96237.html

I've seen those used before. I can see how they'd definitely be more adjustable than the ones from McMaster-Carr that I posted. I guess I just like the clean look of the other ones, but installing them just right could be a pain.
That's the one. The ones you posted are more sleek and clean looking. These are easy to install and adjust as needed
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #7078
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakley View Post
I think the key may be in the size of the caster used. I like the low profile of the casters you used. Keep the center of gravity as low as possible and I am guessing it may be pretty stable. The only downside to low profile casters is not being able to (conveniently) engage the lock on a locking caster.

Thanks for the pict Southern Home Boy.
As well as the fact that they'll snag much more easily on concrete seams, etc. that are in your way when pushing it around. Push it with one wheel forward and two wheels trailing and things'll work MUCH better. ;-)
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #7079
consecrow

Default Ash Pan help

I'm in process of building my first two drums ... Pics to follow ... Having trouble finding an ash pan please help want to fire them up this weekend but would like to have ash pan first
consecrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #7080
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecrow View Post
I'm in process of building my first two drums ... Pics to follow ... Having trouble finding an ash pan please help want to fire them up this weekend but would like to have ash pan first
Maybe a pizza pan?
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker