First Call...

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Yes, we did get our fist call this weekend. It was the People's Choice that was used as a fund raiser on Saturday night at La Porte City, IA. I was as surprised as my teammate when they called our name.

Here is the story. We entered this contest just the week of the contest and were told that the PC was added at the last minute. Pork loin was donated and that was what will be turned in. We did not plan on doing this because we thought we had to keep the meat warm for serving. While I was out mingling, Ryan my teammate was approached by the organizers and said we would cook a loin since they were going to keep it warm. I get back to the site and he informs me we are doing the PC. This is at 5 pm, turn in time is 7 pm. We don't have the smoker set up, not even heating up. I'm thinking fine put me between a rock and a hard place. Ryan and his brother are cleaning the grates, I get the charcoal in the firebox and get it lit. Then i pull the loin out and it is huge. Just from the size it must have been a sow loin. I cut it into thirds, season it up with a seasoning Ryan bought at TNT that we have never used. Throw the loin pieces on with a probe in the largest piece and wait. 6:55 I check the temp. 146*. I start slicing and putting it in a pan. I even forgot to taste some before I took it over.

I am not sure how they ran the PC sampling. I do know that you bought a ticket for $5 and got to sample each of the entries. I don't know if it was blind or the public knew the names of the teams.

I was just stunned, to say the least when they called our team name. It did make the weekend a little cheaper. As you can tell from the KCBS part we have some work to do. Thanks for letting me share.

Hey! A call is a call! Feels good don't it?

Congratulations Bryan and Ryan!

Congrats on the first call - it's a feeling you'll never forget!!!

Back