First pork shoulder is on

Ruger410

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well guys I've had a hell of a time I'm by myself and my probe wires ain't that long I have them running through the top vent on the WSM. I can't tell if the temp probe is touching the grate. I can't seem to get out of the 280s, I'm sittin at 288 now on the maverick.

If that's where the WSM wants to run, why fight it?

288...299....309....believe me it doesn't make that much of a difference. If you're cooker goes to 450 that's one thing, but you'll be fine where she is.

Might be a bad mav probe.

Mine wont go above 246. It works until 246 then it stops.

Ok good , and yes I have water in the pan. I was stressing there for a minute. I should have figured out hiw the grate clip worked before I lost my finger prints

Is it normal for my meat to be at 102 already it only been on a hour maybe 2

I dont understand why people dont run the probe wires through the door opening on a WSM.

I have the same door on my vertical and thats what I do

works just fine

If it was completely thawed, the internal temp could easily be that high. It climbs quick at the beginning. If your temps stay low and you want to get hotter, don't replenish the water as it boils off. It will climb. Also, completely agree about running the probe wires through the top corner of the door. Unless you have the SS upgraded door, there is plenty of play to get them through, and the Maverick hangs nicely off of the door handle.

If it was completely thawed, the internal temp could easily be that high. It climbs quick at the beginning. If your temps stay low and you want to get hotter, don't replenish the water as it boils off. It will climb. Also, completely agree about running the probe wires through the top corner of the door. Unless you have the SS upgraded door, there is plenty of play to get them through, and the Maverick hangs nicely off of the door handle.

Thanks . The maverick is saying the pit is at 291 right now . I just hope the pit probe is not touching the grate

My therm was way off on my wsm as well, the hotter it got the more off it was. Your wsm temps shouldn't be to transient so when its stable go ahead and remove it from the smoker and check the calibration with boiling water or a glass filled with crushed ice then water. When you see its fine or not, take it back to the smoker use gloves or a t shirt to re clip it on the grate through the door.

Thought u said yours had the rubber dohickie pass thru for probe wires?

So the actual probe should touch the grate? I though the clip was supposed to hold it up off the grate

doesnt really matter. after time the grate is going to be the same temp as the air around it (or very close)

the clip does hold it off the grate

did you use the clip or not?

I am becoming more confused with every answer lol

Back