MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Default BBQ Smoked "crab" Babybacks!

That's right!

Welcome to the Big Crab Cake!
I'm located in the heart of Maryland and I love BBQ Ribs

No actual crab meat involved. That would be too much.

I don't know if anyone on this site has ever attempted to, or thought of this concept...

Old Bay Babyback Ribs.

All I did is use regular old bay and combined some brown sugar so that it isn't that spicy.
I was also thinking of maybe even trying some bbq sauce with it on a section (mainly because I don't think it's going to be that great of an idea).

I'm going to smoke them tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it turned out.
I've also got some new bbq rubs from San Antonio that I'm trying out as well. Should be a good day tomorrow.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think! Thanks for reading!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
donmiller
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey, I am a transplant to Georgia from Edgemere, Md.

Really miss the crabs. We are able to occasionally find some blue crabs at the farmer's market and steam them, but it is a once on a while thing.

I've used Old Bay on chicken, and it works quite well there. Never tried it on ribs. Anxious to see the report...

Don
Sunshine Legend 3000 Gasser :shocked:
donmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would think this would work great. I use Todd's Crabby Dirt for all manner of meats and it works great. I bet the Old Bay will work out fine.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

What's a crab? ;-)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Adam Perry Lang uses Old Bay in just about everything. http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Gosh dang it! You just discovered part of my secret pork rib rub! LOL!

Old bay seasoning works very well as a BBQ rub just look at the ingredients, celery salt, mustard, red pepper, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice, ginger, mace, cardamon, cinnamon, and paprika.

All of those ingredients are included in most commercial BBQ rubs in some measure or another.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

Speaking of Crab Cakes, has anyone tried smoking them? Do you think the smoke will overpower the delicate taste of the crab? I might pick up a couple from G&M and give it a shot.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Adam Perry Lang uses Old Bay in just about everything. http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/
a lot of people along the eastern seaboard use it in everything! It's an old favorite around the Chesapeake Watershed region. Don't know if you can get a plate of steamers on the Jersey shore without some sort of "old bay water" for dunking........

I'm not real convinced of it on other things but I'm more than happy to throw it on anything in the water with a shell on it!

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm using 4 different rubs for 4 racks of babybacks.
It's going to be fun!

As for using Old Bay on other meats...

I have never used it on steak. Well, I've used it on fajitas. That's it though.

I use it in chicken all the time, it's great! Especially old bay wings! Just throw that rub on em and put em in a bag for 24 hours and then through them on the grill. It's the easiest way to get the tastiest chicken!

Anyway, I used two bottled rubs from Texas and the Old Bay rub with a little brown sugar so it's not entirely too salty. The 4th is in a marinade that the rest were in about 24 hrs ago. I'll throw some bbq sauce on with about an hour to go on the smoker. I'll make sure to take some pictures for you guys. Wish me luck.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Speaking of Crab Cakes, has anyone tried smoking them? Do you think the smoke will overpower the delicate taste of the crab? I might pick up a couple from G&M and give it a shot.
I think smoking a crab cake would just dry it out. It's worth a try I guess.

I would suggest broiling them normally and then smoking it for maybe 20 minutes or so. Just an idea.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmiller View Post
Hey, I am a transplant to Georgia from Edgemere, Md.

Really miss the crabs. We are able to occasionally find some blue crabs at the farmer's market and steam them, but it is a once on a while thing.

I've used Old Bay on chicken, and it works quite well there. Never tried it on ribs. Anxious to see the report...

Don
There are a few places up here that will ship crabs anywhere on the east coast. Live crabs! I'm sure the shipping is expensive because I believe it's all truck deliveries.
Anyways, I use Old Bay on Chicken Wings A LOT! It's great. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Alright, the babybacks turned out amazing!

My drum was being a little weird with the temperatures so it took a little longer than I expected but it was still great!

The Old Bay Ribs didn't exactly taste like Old Bay Ribs. I've got a better way to improve this!
I was thinking of steaming some crabs sometime this year, take the steamed old bay off of the crabs and use that as a bbq rub!
I'm more of a fan of steamed Old Bay anyways.

As for the others, I think I have a new favorite BBQ rub.
I've been huge on PlowBoys Yardbird as long as I can remember.
This stuff tops it.
Yes, TOPS IT!

Anyways here's the pictures from today and I hope you enjoy.
I included my dinner plate which had roasted asparagus in oil with sea salt, cracked pepper.
The smushed roasted red potatoes had the same added to it. Hope everyone enjoys it and thanks for reading!

Keep grilling!

Alright, I'm not sure why...
But half of my pictures wouldn't load as attachments to this website. I'll have to try again tomorrow evening after work. Enjoy the few you can see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (86.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (41.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (74.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (53.6 KB, 83 views)

Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

They look excellent!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

They look Great. There is a place in Phila. that puts old bay on Fr. Fries- called crab fries
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
They look Great. There is a place in Phila. that puts old bay on Fr. Fries- called crab fries
I've had those at other places.... they are money!

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Babybacks, bbq, Old Bay, ribs, Seafood, smoked ribs, smoker