MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring

Notices

BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring *On Topic Only* From the Backyard to the American Royal... thats our motto. Here is a place for those interested in Competition BBQ, but not yet ready to venture out alone can hook up and help out our veteran teams to see what its like on "The Dark Side". More instructions inside.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
MrsBigBarry
On the road to being a farker

Default *** Team BigBarryQ - West Islip, NY

BigBarry and I are looking to expand our team. If there is anyone in the area who is interested in competing, but either doesn't have all the equipment needed or doesn't want to do it alone, please get in touch with one of us.

Thanks,

Trish

Certified KCBS Judge
Webers: 2 18" Smokey Mountains, 1 22" Smokey Mountain
Performer 22" Silver
Go AnyWhere Charcoal
Smokey Joe Platinum
CL Silver Gasser
MrsBigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Default *** Team BigBarryQ - West Islip, NY

Team Members:
BigBarry - Greg
MrsBigBarry - Trish

We have only had one walk for Pork Butt but we are taking the contests seriously and hope to keep the winning going!

We are looking to expand our team. Anyone is welcome to join us at the regional contests we compete in within a 300 mile radius from Long Island. We will mentor with what we have learned in 2 years of competing and from classes, this forum and research.

Someone who is genuinely interested in learning, modifying and contributing to the techniques and best practices that are needed to succeed in competition BBQ.

Your smoker is welcome!

Send a PM anytime!

Typical events we will hope to compete in:

New Paltz, NY
Yardley, PA
Sayville, NY
Westport, CT
Norwalk, CT
New Jersey

KCBS Members
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!

Last edited by BigBarry; 10-30-2008 at 01:58 PM..
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Teach Me.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Hope you can find someone compatable. That's always the hardest part, but it's soooo nice to have the help. Good luck Brother and Sister. If you really get desperate I guess I will have to fly up and cook with you. Better have plenty of beer!!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I can whole-heartedly say that going beyond two people on a team will make a HUGE difference in the enjoyment you get out of competing. When Johnny and I did a duo act, we would be so exhausted by the time the last box was turned in we could barely stay awake through the awards presentation.

This season we added Warren (another fine cook) as our box builder and runner and Bobby (who doesn't cook) who acts as bartender, clean-up guy and all around gopher. It's amazing how much more fun contests are when you get a little sleep and have extra help with the tedious chores.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
I can whole-heartedly say that going beyond two people on a team will make a HUGE difference in the enjoyment you get out of competing. When Johnny and I did a duo act, we would be so exhausted by the time the last box was turned in we could barely stay awake through the awards presentation.

This season we added Warren (another fine cook) as our box builder and runner and Bobby (who doesn't cook) who acts as bartender, clean-up guy and all around gopher. It's amazing how much more fun contests are when you get a little sleep and have extra help with the tedious chores.
Same here. The last 2 contests we added 2 more and even my wife has been helping out and the results have shown it. I am doing a very light schedule next year so Barry I am available for anything from now until New Holland August 2009. I just wont do chicken unless I have to
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Same here. The last 2 contests we added 2 more and even my wife has been helping out and the results have shown it. I am doing a very light schedule next year so Barry I am available for anything from now until New Holland August 2009. I just wont do chicken unless I have to
ROFLMAO!!! Love the "new" avatar!

Thanks - we'll talk. I would love the help if you are interested in the roadtrip. Talk soon.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Why you scaling back? It seems my schedule doubled. I could use some help too! Team Big-R2-In Da Eye(dot com)?

Grillin on Da Bay (?)
Oyster Bay, NY
Monmouth County, NJ
New Paltz, NY
New Holland, PA
Westport, CT
American Royal
Sayville, NY
and a possible new contest on LI?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Why you scaling back? It seems my schedule doubled. I could use some help too! Team Big-R2-In Da Eye(dot com)?

Grillin on Da Bay (?)
Oyster Bay, NY
Monmouth County, NJ
New Paltz, NY
New Holland, PA
Westport, CT
American Royal
Sayville, NY
and a possible new contest on LI?
You forgot Salisbury,MD
Troy,NY
Harpoon,VT
Norwalk, CT
The Jack
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

i'm looking for some help in being a little more consistant with my cooking. so maybe i could hookup with someone here to help out.

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
You forgot Salisbury,MD
Troy,NY
Harpoon,VT
Norwalk, CT
The Jack
Oye vey. I can barely take a half a day off from work, but I guess I could come cook with you at the Jack.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm looking to add a team member(s) or even help another established team just to get more experience. Barry's post is setting the wheels in motion. Do you NEBS guys have a schedule for '09 already?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
MrsBigBarry
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I could use some help too! Team Big-R2-In Da Eye(dot com)?
I could live with that.

Certified KCBS Judge
Webers: 2 18" Smokey Mountains, 1 22" Smokey Mountain
Performer 22" Silver
Go AnyWhere Charcoal
Smokey Joe Platinum
CL Silver Gasser
MrsBigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote