Mullet

Greyeagle

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have some mullet smoking on an old drum smoker right now. I know there are some more Florida Crackers on here, so what wood do you use for smoking mullet? I am using Orange wood right now, I read that Myrtle Bush wood is good for smoking mullet. Not about to even think of using Mangrove for smoking. Peace Love and Smoked Mullet.. KC

Coincidentally, doing some here too. Going to use Australian pine, maybe throw in some mulberry too.

every thing mentioned is great is great, especially the australian pine. you will be fine with the orange wood if you want a little more smoke then add a tiny piece of oak. we are one of the only places in the states that have australian pines. i bet we are getting some weird looks right now. eeeewwwww pine for smoking. lol

Ted Peter's Smoked Fish, in South Pasadina, FL (right next to St. Pete's Beach) uses red oak to smoke their fish which includes mullet. Mullet is very popular but I always order the mackeral which is great stuff in my opinion.

I just usually stick with either oak or sometimes pecan. both are great for fish, not to strong. My fish cooker is a 4' x4' x4' square plywood box with racks, and the fire box is an old wood burning stove off to the side piped across and into the bottom of the smoker.

I saw this and wondered how q-talk got around to hair cuts. Short on top, party on the side.

I saw the title and wonder if the mullet were running, but I did know it would be down south. We actually have a bar here in town named Mullets. It is named for the fish.

What did you use to season or brine with before you started smoking.

Finally, I always heard it was business up front and a party in back.:becky:

We don't usually brine them but we will try a brine next time of crab boil, salt and brown sugar. I used Adobo seasoning and black pepper this time.. I try to keep it simple. The mullet are running and they are fat and full of roe

Mullet? never ate one, I use them for bait , what fish do they compare to taste wise??

Not sure which fish I could compare it to, it is oily and a medium texture.. takes well to smoking due to the high oil content.. maybe somewhat like a mackerel.. it is fishy tasting not a mild fish. Most people break them down the back bone and butterfly them out, smoke with skin on skin side down..

mullet-dog.jpg

We always used mullet for cutbait to catch redfish in the Matagorda Bay.

You could smell the mullet smoking all over the neighborhood, lol. Greyeagle, you know I have apple, cherry, hickory and some mesquite over here, and I think I still have some of that red oak over at your place. Is that drum forever more destined to only be a fish smoker? :wink:

tcschutte, never been to Matagorda Bay, but Greyeagle and I have caught a lot of redfish in the bay at Punta Gorda. In some of the deeper cuts a smashed mullet head makes great bait for large snook. Well, also for large tarpon and sharks. :laugh: :p

They do make good cut bait for fish and crabs when you have netted so many of them you can't do anything else with them.
Otherwise... Biloxi Bacon!!! Smoked with pecan or alder (when you can get it).

Good fresh mullet is hard to beat!! It is almost a "locals only" delicacy around here. It must be really fresh, must be cleaned correctly, but done right, it becomes the "Absolute Best Smoked Fish EVER". We have always used hickory in our family. Good Luck!!:clap2:

I've never had smoked mullett but I have had it fried. It was caught and fileted the same day and was one of the best fish I have ever eaten.

.... ummmm, smoked fish dip, mullet smoked with citrus and mangrove (shhhhh...). It's awesome - my dad over on Merritt Island used a old metal refig for a long time until the neighbor lady wouldn't quit whining about it on the side of the house... I use a lil chef that I bought from Bass Pro.

the mullet aren't running here yet, but should soon. I can already smell the smoke!

RMR

Back