Chicken Wing Dry Brine Question

Crispy Bacon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Dry Brine question. Let’s say I sprinkle with a little kosher salt & put in the fridge overnight. I know this helps draw out moisture to get crispier skin... but Before grilling, should I put any binder (Oil) on the skin to get the rub to stick or would that defeat the purpose of the dry brine? Thanks for all of the rub suggestions too!

If you try to dry brine with Kosher salt make sure the rub you use is low in salt otherwise I believe you will have salty ribs

I might be doing it wrong, but I always rub the chicken with a teeny bit of olive oil/hot sauce before applying the salt and rub to sit in the fridge overnight. Ribs get hit with a little yellow mustard before the rub goes on and they sit overnight....but for the ribs I do that more out of laziness/not wanting to prep them the next day as opposed to trying to dry brine them.

Here's how I've been prepping my grilled fried chicken wings. This follows the Slow n Sear YouTube video on Grill Fried Buffalo Wings. Having seen this video I haven't strayed from this technique and the wings turn out perfectly crisp every time. And for most of my wing cooks I do use the Weber kettle.

After the dry brine, make up a mixture of equal parts AP flour and cornstarch with a bit of salt. Coat the wings either by shaking in a plastic bag or dredging. Shake off excess and grill indirect on a hot 400 to 425 F grill. After about 20 minutes and a crust has started to form, hit 'em with a little oil, turn, oil the other side. Another 20 minutes, turn and rearrange as needed for even color. Totally time about an hour.

I've made these multiple times, results are always excellent.

I suppose after flouring them you could hit them with some rub. I've never done so, never needed it. Will it stick? Only one way to find out.

Watch their video, the technique works quite well. If I remember to get a wing cook done for the throwdown I'll create a thread.

Regards,
-lunchman

you can add oil if you want but I don't find it to be necessary, add low salt rub and cook

Back