Baby Backs

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK, I know this has been tackled a million times but I'll keep it short. Do you foil the ribs when the meat is 1/4 inch from the bone, or is it DONE when it is a 1/4 inch from the bone?
My ribs always seem to taste good, but inconsistent w/ texture. Yesterday's was 1/2 way between fall off the bone tender and chinese food ribs. 2 weeks ago, they were fall off the bone tender. Thanks.

baby backs i foil after about 2 hours the tips of the rib should be showing at this point .... leave foiled for an hour and a half ....... then place back on rack mop with sauce let sit for 10 minutes flip mop and let sit for ten flip and mop one last time and plate for presentaation

Grill, there are so many variable to play with that you really need to get consistency. so first, don't change a thing and try a couple of times and keep tight records. Temps, time, where on the smoker, etc. Then do a brief write up on the results, color, texture, etc. Then decide what you want to change. My wife loves fall off the bone ribs. I prefer a bit tougher. More competitive quality. So I have learned to foik hers and leave mine open. That is if all the other variables such as temp of pit, sauces/rubs, and weather are all roughly stabel/similar. For her ribs, spares, I usually go for threeish hours, until color and pull back is reasonable, foil for 90-120 minutes. then unfoil and sear with sauce. Mine I tend to leave them exposed and go for 4.5-6 hours and look for flexibilityin the rack. My two cents. Scott

Yep, I foil at that point - for an hour. Then out of the foil for one more hour, dry or sauced.

Sorry, no pics. They were eaten before I could get the camera out. Just wondering if everyone can consistently get the results they want whatever the texture. It's frustrating when one time I get fall off the bone, then with exact same procedures I get almost chinese ribs. I guess it goes with the territory!

When you get them right , let us know know and I'm sure a bunch of us locals would be more than willing to stop by and give you our opions:mrgreen:

I normally go with 2-1-1 on the Baby backs that I do, 2 hours in the smoke, 1 hour in foil, the one hour out of foil getting sauced (the ribs by that point I am already sauced). I have gotten really consistant results doing this. Also for ribs I normally run my smoker around 250 or so. Some of the mixed results that you are getting could also be attributed to the ribs themselves sometimes they just take longer to get the way you want and sometimes they cook fast so I do adjust my foil and sauce times based on how the ribs are looking when I foil them and unfoil them.

Thanks fire, but that is exactly what I'm not sure of...What am I looking for when it's time to foil and what am I looking for when it's time to unfoil. I think that will help me be more consistent. lol sometimes it takes me awhile to figure out what I am actually trying to ask.

Back