Rib Differences?

If you do trim them does it affect the cooking time..Thanks for letting me tag along

If you do trim them does it affect the cooking time..Thanks for letting me tag along

That is the greatest part of being the chef! Nobody questions you when you open YOUR smoker and taste test the product!
(hint) I always find the skirt finishes quickest, and you should always keep a plate and knife near by so you can pull it off and snack on it while you cook. Tell the guests your testing it...:becky:

I take the rib tips, de-bone and grind into sausage, then add spices to make chorizo. Fry up with eggs and 'taters and you got a fine breakfast.

Last week I got some rib slabs from CostCo and trimmed them to St Louis style but had no idea what to do with the scraps... I hated wasting that much meat. Those of you that do trim, what do you do with it?

I put the trimmings in my baked beans. If I'm not making them that day, I'll just freeze them until the next time.

Last week I got some rib slabs from CostCo and trimmed them to St Louis style but had no idea what to do with the scraps... I hated wasting that much meat. Those of you that do trim, what do you do with it?

That's boneless Pork Rib meat.
It's the cream of the crop.
If you trim it off like you did...cook it right along with the ribs.
It will be ready sooner than the ribs will and it is your reward for
doing the cooking.
It makes for great snacking while you are waiting for the ribs
to finish cooking.
IF you don't want to enjoy the tasty treat while you are cooking; you
can save it to add to some beans, or chilie or shred it or chop it for
Tacos & Burritos, etc.

Bump. Pay close attention to RonL's in post #2. Great stuff.

As everyone said big matter of prference so heres mine. I like pork ribs over beef. I also prefer spares, they are bigger and meatier than baby backs and cheaper. I pull the membrane, trim em st louis style, dry rub them. Smoke em at 250. When meat pulls back on ends of bones about an inch or so i do the bend test. Sometimes i sauce them but if i do only at the very end and is a very light layer.

Just cook the trimmings and they are the cooks treat because they will get done before the ribs do. Or you can grind them up into sausage or hamburger if you have a meat grinder.

Back