How to tell when the Meat is done

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Im hoping this might become a sticky up top. But I want to make an instructional thread on how to tell when the meat is done. Where people who have future questions on what to look for and not depending on the thermometer. I know a few so Ill get it started

General: a good general test for for testing the meat is the toothpick test. When you can slide a toothpic in and it feels like butter. But when cooking a thicker cut of meat this isnt always reliable.

Ribs: The toothpick test will work on this and will be a good quick test for indication to try the bend test.
The bend test Is when you grab the rack of ribs from one end and grab with a pair of tongs. When you pick the ribs up and it goes "limp" and the bark start to crack, thats when you know the ribs are tender.

Bone-in Boston butt: I really dont know how to test with out a bone because, I always cook one with bone in. The best way to tell is when you can grab the bone and pull it right out with out resistance. If you have to jiggle it, or pry it, then close the lid and way a bit longer

I wish I had more to get it started but thats all the tricks that I know for now. If anyone has anything to add , please post it and I will add it to the first post so future people done have to read through the thread

You probably will get some consensus with ribs and brisket, but a lot of folks don't take their pork shoulder as far as I do, while some cook to completely fallin' a part.

I'm not always right on ribs, but I sure have learned how to tell when I should've taken them off the cooker 20 minutes earlier.:doh:

The best tip to all learners I think IS temp! Once I got good on understanding correct tender temps. my Q got consistently better. Yes, every time cooking and every piece of meat is different, but it is the best overall judge to not fail!

Back