MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #31
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtc View Post
Ok I will check out Big Poppa Smokers, Going to bed more confused than when I posted this thread.. Thanks for all of your inputs!!
Question is, would you be interested in building your own UDS? The Big Poppa Smoker is a kit so you'd have to get a 55 gallon drum and make it yourself.

Altogether it'll cost you around $250 to make it (or more depending on type of drum or if you get it powder coated, etc..)

Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #32
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I have an Acorn and a WSM, if I want steaks and burgers I pull out the Acorn and if I want to smoke I grab the WSM. Yes I can smoke on the Acorn but why would I since I have a WSM if I want pizza I'll pull out the Acorn as well.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #33
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

OK, the original poster likes his Yoder but wants something small, quick, and cheap for grilling.

I don't think that's a UDS - not for grilling.

What he really wants is a small and cheap Yoder.

Sounds exactly like the Traeger PTG. It's 300 bucks, it's portable, it can grill or smoke, and it's a pellet grill so he can use the same fuel as the Yoder.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ020
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #34
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Does the Akorn have plastic handle and plastic side tables? eek.
Weber Performers have plastic tables. OTG's have plastic handles on the lid and kettle...despite not being insulated like the Akorn. I see no issue.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #35
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

I have both and the akorn for sure when it comes to grilling. They like to run hotter. Enjoy!
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #36
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Weber Performers have plastic tables. OTG's have plastic handles on the lid and kettle...despite not being insulated like the Akorn. I see no issue.
Well I was more concerned with the tables.. but it turned out they aren't plastic. I had a gas grill before with plastic tables on each side and I burned it like the 2nd day I had it.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #37
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Akorn all the way. Versitilty. You can smoke, sear, grill and bake.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #38
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Akorn all the way. Versitilty. You can smoke, sear, grill and bake.
I forgot about pizza!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #39
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I forgot about pizza!
Yes maam! You def cant go wrong with either but putting versitility into perspective akorn is hard to beat. Im basing my statements off of owning a kamado grill.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #40
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I love my 22.5 WSM and have modded the firebasket so that I can use it to direct sear steaks, burgers, etc. But that's the benefit to me of the WSM is that I have a dedicated smoker that I can also grill with.

If you are going to have the Yoder for smoking, then I would suggest one of the Weber kettle grills for your grilling needs. You can buy cheaper, but you'll be replacing it in 3 to 5 years...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #41
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

My 2 cents worth:
I grew up on Weber kettles. My father gave me my 1st Weber in the mid 70's when he upgraded from an 18" to 22" kettle. I still have that kettle and still use it at our cabin. I have several Weber kettles, a WSM, and a gasser. I am a Weber fan.

Having said that I purchased a Char-Griller Akorn about 3 years ago and love it. I haven't used my WSM since, and only use my Performer for cold smoking. With the Akorn I do not have to battle the wind which was a big problem as as I am in a pretty wide open area. The Akorn is insulated so I haven't needed to add more charcoal during winter smokes. I can cook low and slow at 250 or I can sear at 600+. I can smoke pulled pork for 18+ people easily, but mostly I cook for my wife and I. The WSM will hold more meat for smoking. Another huge plus for me is the design of the Akorn. I am comfortable using it on the composite deck off of my kitchen and dining room. I would not use a Weber charcoal product for fear of a coal starting a fire.

Three years into it my Akorn still is looking good. I haven't noticed any signs of corrosion. The cast iron grate is a big plus. And the extra stainless steel grate is very handy for veggies etc.

Last edited by Hankdad1; 03-05-2014 at 01:08 AM..
Hankdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #42
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdad1 View Post
use my Performer for cold smoking.
How do ya do this?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #43
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

^^^

This is the general idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc

Pellets or wood chips both work. If you are smoking cheese, avoid having the heat source directly under the cheese, it may soften and melt. Yes, go ahead and ask me how I know this.

Last edited by Hankdad1; 03-05-2014 at 01:25 AM..
Hankdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #44
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

For something small, portable and does smoking, barbecue, roasting & grilling: Mini WSM.

Not so good for pizza!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 AM   #45
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

For over a year now I have used my Akorn at least 3-4 times/week. It has held up well in that time. It has endured grease catching fire. 2 winters out side uncovered. Most people won't use theirs like I do. The only thing I don't like about it is the pot metal top vent. It will break if it is frozen shut and you try to open it. Two features on the Akorn I really like are the gaskets and ash pan. The gaskets are like the ones found on ovens, not the felt type like a BGE has. The ash pan actually come off of the bottom and you just dump it out. There is also a guide in the center to make it easy to replace. I did a 13# brisket in about 6 hours on my Akorn today.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote