• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Slow brisket on the traeger

Shotgun smokers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am wanting to do a bigger brisket this Friday night to eat on Saturday evening and I've only done fast briskets.. I really want to do a low and slow brisket and I don't know where to start such at temp and time per pound.. If you wouldn't mind giving some advice i would be more than thankful! Thanks!

A brisket will come out pretty good at almost any temp on the Traeger. The key is to start checking for doneness when the internal temp hits about 180 (It probably won't be done at 180 but it's a good temp to start checking). Using the blunt object method. Poke it with a blunt object about 1/4"Ø, you should feel some resistance at 1st. Once you get past that innitial resistance, the blunt object should go in like a warm knife into butter. If you have time you can pull the brisket off a bit early, wrap it up in foil with some apple juice (or your liquid of choice) and put it in the cooler for an hour or 3.

When I got my 1st Traeger I used to do briskets and butts with the unit set @ 180°. I think it took about 14 hrs or so, but my memory is not what it used to be. Now I set it @ 225 (which is really closer to 250 on my 070's) they usually go about 8 hours in the cooker then into the cooler for a couple.

Thanks DC! I am pretty excited about doing this. But the weather here in Oregon has been nasty so I might have to wait to do this.. Which I wouldn't want to.

I've never had luck with brisket on the Traeger above 275f cooker temp. Internal temp is 190f to 205f and tender when done.

I've been running my 075 on the smoke setting for about an hour then kicking it up to 225* to 250*. But then again, I'm just learning how to play with this machine. ;>)

Thanks DC! I am pretty excited about doing this. But the weather here in Oregon has been nasty so I might have to wait to do this.. Which I wouldn't want to.

The Traeger will cook well in all kinds of weather, though not insulated, they do fine. I just place an old welding blanket over it for a little insulation.

Good Luck!

But the weather here in Oregon has been nasty so I might have to wait to do this.. Which I wouldn't want to.
Nasty? Just because we got an inch of rain on monday, and it might stop sometime in June :p I understand this a bit too well- I haven't fired up my pit in months because of the weather.

I use my traeger in the rain and bad weather all the time. Just did a batch of jerky while raining and had no problems. Temps might be slightly down but go for it...

I've been running my 075 on the smoke setting for about an hour then kicking it up to 225* to 250*. But then again, I'm just learning how to play with this machine. ;>)

Pretty close to my technique, but I'm two hours on smoke then kick it up.

Back