Competition travel set up

Hot Sauce Hoss

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question for you guys and gals that do comp bbq. Wife and i have been bitten by the bug and we are ready to enter some comps, but we were wondering how others travel and get all their smokers and gear to the events. Does everyone have a camper? what do you tow you smoker with? all the questions a beginer would wonder. We have two wsm 22.5 smokers and are staring to get some other items and:doh: doh, we don't have a truck or trailer sooooo we were looking for ways to get started. Got any stories to share or suggestions for us???

Thanks ya'll
Hot Sauce Hoss

This is how we roll...
We sleep onsite in the trailer after unloading our gear...or stay in a motel.

TrailerPics001.jpg

SouthPawBBQ009.jpg

SouthPawBBQ012.jpg

Similar to JD, we haul the smokers in the trailer, then when on site set up a bed & kick the air conditioning on HIGH!!!

102_3375.jpg

102_3378.jpg

Here's the interior right before I bought it with stainless prep table, sink, & shelving.

102_3366.jpg

Here's how I like to set up if I can get 30 feet wide.

102_4105.jpg

This is the culmintation of a few years of competing. We worked our way up from the ugliest smoker out there to pellet burners now to UDS. We also worked our way through quite a few trailers and set-ups. Just start out small with only what you think you will need and build up over time.

I wish I had some picts of the way that we started... My wife has a mini van that we packed to the roof with all our gear. This year I have a LANG 84D and my RAM 1500.

A friend of mine saw what we were doing and gave me this piece of advice... "Pack Light... Disposable everything..."

When we started we had the smoker welded to a 4x6 trailer. Everything else fit in a 2001 Buick century... Still does!!!!!!!!! My point being, you can get as big as you need to. A good book that is an easy read is "Startin the fire". It does a nice job giving you and idea of what you really need to start out...

Our rig is similar to the ones above. !/2 ton pickup and cargo trailer. We had our trailer custom built 6" taller inside and with a couple of windows, an RV screen door, finished walls and ceiling with lighting and rubber coin flooring. It is our prep kitchen during the day and bedroom at night.

PB290646.JPG

Try to go to a couple of comps before you commit to anything. You can probably get by with a rented van or truck for the first couple. You'll see a lot of different setups. Around here campers are common and some folks have trailer pits that they tow behind them. Others tow a cargo trailer behind the camper. You'll also see toy haulers of all sorts, Class C, bumper pull and fifth wheel. It just depends on your budget. We'd love to have a toy hauler to make setup and tear down easier.

I have pictures of some setups in this album...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rclewen/CaptainRonSBrewNQuePictures?feat=directlink

You never realize haw bad you look on Saturday morning till ya see your self in Rons album. :redface:

Hey all,

I have a question for you guys and gals that do comp bbq. Wife and i have been bitten by the bug and we are ready to enter some comps, but we were wondering how others travel and get all their smokers and gear to the events. Does everyone have a camper? what do you tow you smoker with? all the questions a beginer would wonder. We have two wsm 22.5 smokers and are staring to get some other items and:doh: doh, we don't have a truck or trailer sooooo we were looking for ways to get started. Got any stories to share or suggestions for us???

Thanks ya'll
Hot Sauce Hoss

You can do a comp with your 2 22's...pork butt and brisket on one...chicken and ribs on the other. A kettle grill would be helpful for setting glazes and such. You can also enlist the help of family and freinds to help tote all your stuff...just feed them well! :becky: As mentioned above...check out a few local comps to see how other folks roll.

Good luck...and most important...have fun! :p

Depending on the weather, some sleep in cots or zero grav. chairs outside while others sack out in the pick up truck, both front seat and bed. Now if it were me and I really wanted to comp cook a lot, I would get a combo toy hauler and RV set up like Andy and Kim.:cool::cool:

We started with a couple of WSMs and just threw everything in the car. We were so afraid of missing stuff, we brought too much. (Fair warning: now we have an RV, 3 Trailers, 5 smokers, and 3 grills. :crazy: One comp this year also included a 24' pirate ship. It's a sickness.)

I would suggest doing a practice cook outside. Leave all your stuff in the house, and as you need it, go get it. Anything you didn't need from the house you won't need in the competition either. Less is more, especially when you are trying to pack up in a downpour.

Does everyone have a camper?
what do you tow you smoker with?

Thanks ya'll
Hot Sauce Hoss

Very few folks actually have campers. Sure, a few do but most don't.

Tow vehicle: whatever you got that'll do the job. Cars and vans will work, although you probably need to look into a hitch w trailer or hitch-hauler (you can probably borrow some of that stuff)

You can nap in the car or in a comfy chair or on a cot. Maybe it's me, but I like to bring earplugs.

We started with a couple of WSMs and just threw everything in the car. We were so afraid of missing stuff, we brought too much. (Fair warning: now we have an RV, 3 Trailers, 5 smokers, and 3 grills. :crazy: One comp this year also included a 24' pirate ship. It's a sickness.)

I would suggest doing a practice cook outside. Leave all your stuff in the house, and as you need it, go get it. Anything you didn't need from the house you won't need in the competition either. Less is more, especially when you are trying to pack up in a downpour.

Outstanding idea! :thumb:

What a great bunch of folks you are for the pictures and suggestions. We have the fever for sure. We have a traeger 07e, and a OTG so we have been adding to the collection for sure. I am not a savy computer type (lol) so i am trying to decide on a ATC system to control two webers without having to use a laptop. We will pickup an ez up for sure and add to the cooler collection. Keep it coming all ya want this is very cool hereing and seeing the setups for sure.

Thanks to you Guys a monster is being created :-D

Hot Sauce Hoss

SmokeInDaEye runs with WSM's and pulls a 5x8 (I think).

On my gear...
Thought the first trailer [5 X 8] was big enuff for my ideas.... a Lang offset smoker changed that direction on several points.

picture.php

After upgrading the trailer... had to upgrade the tow vehicle, too.
Once unloaded... the trailer is cooled down (a/c) and sleep on-site
with air mattress and zero gravity chairs.

To make a decision like that... make sure the tow vehicle is capable to your objectives.

P1010055.jpg

Just the wife and I also. This year we will have 2 Stump's (Prince), 2-10x10 EZ Up's. One for prep/boxing, one for lounging/sleep. 2 Zero Gravity chairs for sitting/sleeping. We are using our 5x8 utility trailer again this year and our pick up. Everything fits but is snug and the trailer is maxed out. Next year (2012) getting a 7x14 enclosed trailer for sure.
Last year we ran with 1-10x10 EZ Up, 1 Stump's Prince, and 1- WSM 22.5. We had packing down to a science!
Not sure of your vehicle, but some teams will rent a U-Haul for their comps. They have many different sizes to rent so that helps also. It may be a challenge but its all fun!
Anything is possible, may just need a bit more planning! :thumb:

We use a 5th wheel now.... but my neighbors started cooking and they use thier minivan to do it all. They load it full, then drive the other vehicle to get bodies in and out... after all the gear is out, they put up an air mattress on thefloor of the van for sleeping. two WSMs is perfect for that type of travel.

Easy Peasy!

We will pickup an ez up for sure

For those of us without an enclosed trailer, either get the sidewalls or get some tarps that you can quickly string up to the ez-up. If there is any sort of breeze when it rains your stuff will get soaked in no time at all....with the sidewalls you might be able to create a dry spot (sidewalls also block the sun)

Back