My first Cooking Class

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For the last two years, using info gleaned and learned from this site, I have developed a small group of dishes enjoyed by a coterie of teachers and BBQ lovers. Every time we have a staff "gathering," I get tapped to make pulled pork or some variation of my IBTs.

As a result, the Family and Consumer Education teacher asked me if I'd play the role of "guest chef" for her cooking class. I agreed :crazy:, and the teacher requested IBTs. After a few more discussions, I added some breakfast fatties for the feint of heart.

So...tomorrow morning, I'll get up at 3:00 am :shocked: to come into school and get the smoker up and rockin' and the food on the smoker. I will prep and cook enough for the students ahead of time, and they'll help me prep another batch :pray: which we'll put on the smoker before class ends :clap:. They will leave with hands-on experience with the peppers, as well as recipes for both the peppers and the breakfast fatties. :thumb:

I spoke with the students today and tried to gauge their 'cue knowledge. To most a cookout gets limited to burgers and brats :twitch:. Many sounded adventurous, and even requested that I leave the seeds and veins in a few peppers they will eat :thumb:.

I talked a little about layering flavors and trying to get that "complex" taste from your 'cue. They kids seemed excited as I left, and a few even asked how early they could come in to help.

Tonight I'm going to do prep work ahead of time and get my food into the fridge at school. Tomorrow, I'll document the cook and the "lesson" with the kids. I'm excited - as an English teacher, I often do not get to let kids see this side fo me.

Stay tuned...

Congrats on the opportunity to teach a class! Anxious to hear how it goes. Keep us posted. :smile:

that's what it's all about....teaching someone else how to make great BBQ!!! Good on ya!!!

Congrats! This is awesome! INSPIRE!!! :thumb:

Can't wait to see how it goes!

Awesome! The students will have a great time.

It is great that your school still have FaCE. Mine got rid of it long ago.

I wish I had a great teacher to teach me BBQ in high school!! Very cool!!!!

Those students will remember that lesson for a long time to come!

Just think about how many seeds you are planting in the name of BBQ!!! Way to go!!! Please keep us posted!!!

40 IBTs prepped and ready for the smoker. Two breakfast fatties stuffed with scrambled eggs, hand-shredded hash browns, sautéed onions and garlic. One with maple syrup and SM Sweet and Spicy. One with Head Country BBQ and Plowboy's Yardbird.

The kids will help me make another batch tomorrow.

d8381624-b207-eb59.jpg

d8381624-b211-c1d4.jpg

Up at 3:00 am. In by 4:00 am. Fire by 4:15 am.

More to come.

That's awesome! After this the kids will never again see you as just their English teacher.

Very Cool! Are you dicussing different types of cookers as well? Maybe a the school would let you do a class of BBQ as a second language.
My wife is an FCS teacher, I wonder if I could convince her to let me be a guest chef?

I'd LOVE to get the tech Ed guys to build a cabinet smoker as a welding project.

Yesterday, I talked a small bit about history of BBQ. They actually seemed interested. Today, I want to make sure they can set up a kettle for smoke. A couple of kids are interested in working with their dad's on UDS builds (I will show them the thread).

Well, temp is closing n on 200. Nice, slow, steady climb. Put the wood chunks on about 15 minutes ago. The smell is starting to waft down the hall.

d8381624-bdda-b2a8.jpg

More pics once the kids get here.

That's really cool Jeff. I would love to do something like that.

My son took some Tri-Tip to school with my BBQ sauce and everyone loved it. I guess that is the closest I'll come to something like that for now.

We had something like that at our school yesterdayand all I got was orange chicken. Maybe we should have you down the next time.

Wonder if that would count for a professional development conference?

Holding ROCK-steady at 225. Fatties at 90 degrees. I LOVE it when a plan comes together. Well, off to the cooking room to find a bowl to mix the cream cheese mixture.

Back