What happens if you cook a tri tip like a brisket? Ever tried?

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Tri Tip is a fatty cut of meat, as is Brisket. Ever tried cooking a tri tip like a brisket? Will tri tip soften up like a brisket?

I fell asleep with a foiled tri-tip resting in a smoker. 3 hours later it was basically a mushy potroast.

facepalm2ly39767068.jpg

I think the point here is, Brisket are muscles that are used differently on the animal. The connective tissues should not be confused with fat content. Fat is Flavor but just because a peice of meat is fatty does not mean it is tough and requires a Low-n-Slow cook to tender the meat.

These type of muscles are being worked hard from the Brisket cut and are tough.

If you cook a Tri-Tip 10+ hours you may just have, Meat Pudding.

I will correct my last post, I think willkat98 has a recipe for slow cooking a Tri-Tip and it may just work. Maybe he will chime in on the process.

I would just make Pudding.

landarc
03-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Okay, that post could have been more useful. The tri-tip was cooked at 230F for 4.5 hours, it was rubbed with a first layer of Simply Marvelous Cherry rub and a second layer of my own riff off of the Dirty Dalmation rub. It was cooked over Royal Oak briquettes. I did no sear on the tri-tip for this cook, it was straight up low-n-slow, served with a 15 minute rest under a foil tent. It was one of the best tri-tips I have ever had.

Just found this in the archives from a guy named Landarc. Ever heard of him?:rolleyes:

Still think you can't cook tri tip low and slow?:shock::redface::shocked::redface:

I had no opinion when I originally asked. But I know enough not to make assumptions on things I have never tried before.:redface:

Let's just say it would not be my cut of choice to make jerky!

I've thrown left over tri tip in a bag of marinade and then onto a dehydrator. Sure it was trimmed up real good, but it came out pretty good I'd say.

Tri Tip is a fatty cut of meat, as is Brisket. Ever tried cooking a tri tip like a brisket? Will tri tip soften up like a brisket?

i trim that fat off the tri tips..as its mostly hard fat and silver skin..you are also talking about a piece of meat thats about a 1/4 of the size of a brisket
i usually grill them after trimming

landarc
03-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Okay, that post could have been more useful. The tri-tip was cooked at 230F for 4.5 hours, it was rubbed with a first layer of Simply Marvelous Cherry rub and a second layer of my own riff off of the Dirty Dalmation rub. It was cooked over Royal Oak briquettes. I did no sear on the tri-tip for this cook, it was straight up low-n-slow, served with a 15 minute rest under a foil tent. It was one of the best tri-tips I have ever had.

Just found this in the archives from a guy named Landarc. Ever heard of him?:rolleyes:

Still think you can't cook tri tip low and slow?:shock::redface::shocked::redface:

I had no opinion when I originally asked. But I know enough not to make assumptions on things I have never tried before.:redface:

Of course you can cook tri-tip low and slow, some people do and do a reverse sear and pull to rest around 130. You don't want to take tri-tip over 140, it will dry out.

When you say cook tri-tip like a brisket, I assume you mean take it to all the way to 200 internal. The answer to that is no, you wouldn't want to do that.

Brisket is loaded with connective tissue, which over time breaks down and gives you a moist piece of meat.

Tri-tip does not have the connective tissue that a brisket or pork shoulder does, and is a relatively lean cut of beef.

Back