Brisket-point or flat

I like the point. It's more fatty, which means more delicious.

If they're the same price I like the flats 'cause they're fairly consistent in thickness. Although with the points (even corned) I like the ends chopped up on a bun. I just picked up 4 points for $1.49/lb. I'm thinking I might pick up a couple more? Flats were $2.99. That was a nobrainer for me. Cheers!!!

If they're the same price I like the flats 'cause they're fairly consistent in thickness. Although with the points (even corned) I like the ends chopped up on a bun. I just picked up 4 points for $1.49/lb. I'm thinking I might pick up a couple more? Flats were $2.99. That was a nobrainer for me. Cheers!!!

They are both the same price.

I prefer the point because of the higher fat content. The point has that wondeful fatty goodness on top and sort of a small "flat" like portion on bottom...best of both worlds.

For eating off a plate, the point, for eating in a sandwich, the flat. I prefer the texture of the flat in a sandwich. The fatty point is better with veggies and taters.

The last few "flats" I have bought, weren't true flats. They were labeled flat, but had a section of the point still on it..... and the price did not reflect it. Yes, I called the toll free number, yes I took it back to the store, yes they replaced it with another.... same problem...... So, if you buy a flat, pay for a flat, call the toll free number, complain, then take the receipt and package back to the store.

Now to answer your question. I usually prefer the flat as it has more meat.

I prefer the flat for slices and the point for burnt ends. I like them both equally!

i prefer the flats. But I wind up smoking them into a pastrami, finished 3rd Eye style. Sliced thin with some kraut... yum. Too many bad memories of boiled point dinners as a kid. That being said, I also find a thin point section still intact on the flat cuts. All good.

Last edited:
I think they're both great, I'd say try both. Get a whole packer brisket too and make your own corned beef with some morton's tender quick too.

The point about pre-cut flats sometimes being the "in between" piece is a GREAT point. Really look at the bag and see if you can see the grain, if you see it changing direction you've got a little of both and I'd put it back.

A lot of people find that pre-cut flats have more fat removed then they'd like.

The point is fattier. Some days I like that, some days I don't. They're both great though.

Back