First CSRs...My New Fav...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to smoking some country style Ribs on the MAK. I had no idea how good they were or I'd have tried them sooner! I cooked them pretty much like ribs, only at the end, I probed for tenderness.
They eat like little rib steaks...so meaty, fatty and moist. To me, they are like a cross between pork ribs and a chuck roast. I really do think I like these better than ribs. Thanks so much to you guys who went before me and showed me how to. Please take a look...

One of my favorites too. No idea why i don't cook them more often. Nice bark!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What makes them CSR? Salt and Pepper only? Or is it a cut specific designation?

Country-style ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder. They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula).

Thanks! That explains the pictures very well. Ribs with no ribs ... :becky:

One of my favorite cuts. Looks like you did them right.

I thought I smelled those cooking across town from me. :wink:
I haven't done those in a long time, you got me thinking.

Thanks all. It's great to have the feedback, as the wife isn't into it. It was fun to try something new. I was a little unclear about how to cook these, because on ribs, I go by pullback to tell me when to foil and when their done. I had to go with probing on these. Got some great advice here though, so I figured I'd go for it. Thanks all.

I love me some CSR. Always worth it to take a look first, as (at least at my local supermarket) you can get a wide variety of fatty/lean cuts. Personally, I love mine with a nice vein of fat running through.

Are they labeled as "country style ribs" at the butcher? I don't think I've seen them where I shop.

These were labeled County Style Ribs. They were next to Loin Cut Country Style Ribs, that looked much more refined, with no bone. I liked the bone.

Country-style ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder. They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula).
In my area, there are two different cuts sold as CSR. The boneless ones cut from the loin, which are leaner and work well for grilling, much like a pork chop. Then there are the bone-in ones cut from the shoulder, which we prefer. They are fattier, and are best cooked low and slow until probe tender. The ones the OP posted look like the shoulder cut ones.

Doing some tonight, how long and what temps did you use, see some suggesting 3-2-1.
Going to do in my stick burner, so any suggestions appreciated.

Doing some tonight, how long and what temps did you use, see some suggesting 3-2-1.
Going to do in my stick burner, so any suggestions appreciated.
I cook the ones cut from the shoulder the same way I cook whole spareribs. Naked with rub at 250-275 deg for around 4-4.5 hours on my kettle, then check to see if a probe goes in and out easily. If not, I have another beer.
The ones cut from the loin, I grill indirect over medium heat to 135 deg, then sear.

These are the shoulder CSRs. I did them like I cook ribs, so whatever you like to do with ribs, do these the same. The probe tender part at the end is important though. I was going to pull them at one point, probed, then decided to go another 1 hour. So glad I did that.

Back