MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post

You aren't going to offend anybody with those flavors.
This needs to be your focus....Find your flavor profile that doesn't give anything to complain about. Won't be too hot, wont be too sweet, etc. Then get good at cooking that way every single time and don't stray from that. Cook YOUR Que...

I can tell you that our scores improved dramatically with Blues Hog sauce.

With this said, you never know what judge is going to be having a bad day. We've had (and I'm positive everybody else who competes) has had the old "5 good scores and one awful one" scenario and you drive home cursing judge #657 at table 12 the whole way home. That's just comp BBQ.

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #17
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

There are a number of quality rubs and sauces you can use. If you aren’t using at least a little Blues Hog original in some fashion, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Doesn’t have to be straight up, but it’s THE best place to start. As others said, overcooked beats undercooked every time and I would say err on the side of sweeter flavor vs. less sweet.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #18
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm too old to travel and compete anymore, but I can share what I learned as a former team member.

You have to remember that you are not cooking for yourself, but for someone else who may have a different taste palette. While it may taste great for you, we are all individuals with different likes.

Also keep in mind that the judges are not eating a meal, nor the whole piece of chicken, they are simply taking a single bite. You have to "wow" them with flavor, texture, and tenderness in a single bite. Trying to get all three items at the top of your game can be a "crap shoot" at best. You don't know the judges preferences and they may never tell you it's too sweet, to spicy, or too tough.

On top of that; the previous entry before you will have an impact on your bite of food. Someone before you that goes over the top on all three items, places your entry at a disadvantage until their taste buds level out.

All you can do is to try your best and keep notes.

Try injecting to improve tenderness before you cook.

Remember a good rub not only enhances flavor, but also adds some color.

As far as flavors, use a bold flavored rub and a bold flavored sauce: remember you have to wow them with one single bite. I agree with "esasnidx"; the fact if you aren't using a competition sauce like Blues Hog in some type of a blend is important. But you aren't limited to just Blues Hog, there are many; Craig's, Head Country, Bob Gibson, ect.

Maybe one you should consider is the New Competition Sauce by Yes Dear. I have been using a Blues Hog blend for years, even at home, but after trying the new Yes Dear Competition Sauce, my blending days are over.....

Great taste, great color, and a wonderful sheen on the meat every time.

Good luck in your next competition and keep us posted.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

When you are competing in backyard, you need to cook what the local Mayor likes... Usually the local town folk who judge, like fall off the bone, and sweet tasting chicken... It's why it is backyard and not a sanctioned event..
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 12:04 AM   #20
RubLover
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
At the last event I judged we were told to make a comment card only in extreme circumstances. I like to make comments when I get something good.
That person needs to be banned from being a judge organizer for a KCBS competition...
RubLover is offline   Reply With Quote