MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Default Health Dept Lighting

Ok the health dept says I need 50-foot candles over the prep and cleaning areas. my kitchen in truck is 15 ft long and 7 ft. wide with the prep on one side 15 ft long and the wash is on the other side 15 ft long. If I am using florecsent lighting running long ways on either side what do I need???? will 1 each 8 ft 2 bulb work on each side????
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I wouldn't try to figure this out yourself.

If the HD wrote you up for insufficient lighting, ask them what they want you to put in. That way they can't argue with your choice after the fact. On the other hand, if you are just reading the regulations and building out your kitchen, use your own common sense to choose lights that seem to work best with your budget and space.

I've never seen an inspector with a light meter. They prefer really slow read digital thermometers, so they can hold your fridge/hot box door open for five minutes, ensuring that your temps will be out of spec. :p

As with any government agency, it's always simpler to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
Ok the health dept says I need 50-foot candles over the prep and cleaning areas. my kitchen in truck is 15 ft long and 7 ft. wide with the prep on one side 15 ft long and the wash is on the other side 15 ft long. If I am using florecsent lighting running long ways on either side what do I need???? will 1 each 8 ft 2 bulb work on each side????
You could buy 50 standard candles, each 1 foot long and light them all and see how much light that is, but I agree with the post above and just ask them what that amounts to in terms of fixture and bulbs. That should be easy enough for them to tell you.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Assassins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If you use two 8 foot 2 tube high output light fixtures. Center in your trailer it will look light daylight. Around 75 foot candles. Lowes has them around $50.00 each. Don't forget the protector tubes for the lamps.
Assassins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassins View Post
If you use two 8 foot 2 tube high output light fixtures. Center in your trailer it will look light daylight. Around 75 foot candles. Lowes has them around $50.00 each. Don't forget the protector tubes for the lamps.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote