Is this really done in the South?

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There's an old mill not too far from my house that serves a great breakfast. I'd had pancakes, eggs, etc... and to keep this Q related, they smoke bacon with pecan wood, and it's great!

They list a breakfast that I hadn't noticed before (I don't go often at all) that they say is a southern thing...

8060751513_3835aa68f1_b.jpg

It's chicken and waffles, with a sweet batter on the chicken, great waffles, then sausage gravy with maple syrup.

Chicken & waffles originally started in Harlem New York. Not sure about the sausage gravy and maple syrup part though.

I would probably agree, though, that chicken & waffles is more indicative of the south than NY, in most people's perception, regardless of the place of origin. The sausage gravy addition threw me... but it was actually quite good.

It's chicken & Waffles and BISCUITS & Gravy! Chicken & Waffle were NOT part of my growing up and living in the south...It's mighty good food, but not traditional southern fare.
YMMV!

You can get it in several places here in Memphis, each place has their take on it. Different, not bad, but different.

It was actually really good, and the presentation surprised me quite a bit.

Chicken and Waffles is great! Dunno about the gravy but the maple syrup is wonderful on them. I was introduced to them at the Soul Brothers Cafe in Oakland about 30 years ago when we went through there on a tour. Saw that place and had to stop. Had never heard of this treat and I was hooked after one bite. The late Rip Wilson ran the place.

I travel alot with my job, and the first time I ever saw this was at a hotel(of all places) in Charleston, SC.

Chicken and waffles is an ethnic tradition, that is most prominent in the East and Southeast. It's old school soul food. It is good, in a weird kind of way. It is a sweet and savory kind of thing. I don't think it is normally served with sausage gravy. I haven't seen it served that way.

CD

I have to say even though it started here, I haven't found a chicken & waffles joint in Harlem worth a visit. Most people get the fried chicken ok. Ok but no where near as great as the Fried Chicken EMPEROR himself - Charles Gabriel. But Gabriel doesn't have waffles. All the waffles served in harlem are just bland floppy waffles. So the chicken itself is really not that better than popeyes and the waffles aren't better than IHOP.

Yep. Gladys Knight has a great place just outside of Atlanta.

That's soul food. Yeah, I know. Everyone wants to claim the "soul food" label nowadays. But, they are just posers. Chicken and waffles is soul food. Southern ethnic food. Not Italian. Not Irish. Not Eastern European.

It's authentic soul food.

When I do chicken and waffles, I pull all the meat off, place it on the waffles, cover with hot sauce then coat it all with maple syrup... Yummy!

That's how it's done.

Jeff

Back