Venison Bacon recipe??!

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,
Have any of you ever made venison bacon? If so, how did it turn out? Care to share your process?

A friend of mine makes venison bacon, but it's very unconventional. The recipe calls for a mixture of ground venison and pork molded into flat pans, then smoked, chilled and sliced. It's actually a pretty decent product and it reminds me of jerky that is made from ground meat. LINK to article LINK to video.

That doesnt sound better than bacon flavored venison jerky. Havent had that though.

A friend of mine makes venison bacon, but it's very unconventional. The recipe calls for a mixture of ground venison and pork molded into flat pans, then smoked, chilled and sliced. It's actually a pretty decent product and it reminds me of jerky that is made from ground meat. LINK to article LINK to video.

Thanks. That’s the video that started me thinking about venison bacon. Looks good, but thought I’d poll the Brethren for other ways. I figured you, Cowgirl, and a few others might know.

Thanks. That’s the video that started me thinking about venison bacon. Looks good, but thought I’d poll the Brethren for other ways. I figured you, Cowgirl, and a few others might know.

Well since deer don't have a belly to speak of I suppose you could cure a loin roast or even a boneless arm roast Buckboard style, but I would think it would turn out more like a corned beef..... although you could treat it like a pastrami?

I have never made venison bacon because as the others above have indicated, it is very very lean.

I am allowed to take does instead of bucks in my state due to my veteran/health status. Even with the added fat/marbling on the doe venison, there is still not enough fat to make traditional bacon.

I agree with the above suggestions made from Cowgirl or Thirdeye. Check out their links they posted.

Back