Friedrich FMP 400

savagebrood

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about these smokers? How they work? Anyone have any experience on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. Just wondered if anyone had experience using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm curious about these as well, I saw a video they are all about clean smoke etc. But here is my problem with it out of the gate. It uses alot of damn wood!... you have to feed it a split or 2 every 30 minutes. Also I have read that there is like zero smoke flavor on them because they have so much forced convection and very little smoke. I'm also worried about longer cooks, seems like alot of attention feeding it every 30 minutes.
I love the idea of the "clean smoke" but no smoke and all that convection seems like it's not much better than an oven.

Not much info using GOOGLE search either. Looks to be around 5 grand

I bought a used Friedrich Max Flavor 400. It had sat outside for a number of years and I had to replace some ice cube relays and the thermostat. The thing has a learning curve to get the smoke generator to work correctly. The wood chips can't be like sawdust because the air won't pass through the basket. I've found if you dampen the wood chips you can get it to produce smoke for about 2.5 hours. Otherwise, it will go through a 20" basket of chips in about 40 minutes. When you get the chips right, it is almost set it and forget it.

Back