MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Smoked Turkey Pot Pie

So I've not played in the Throwdowns for quite some time.
This was on the menu for this week anyway and so why not play?!

THIS is the actual recipe that I used for this cook.

Here's how the cook went down.....

I fired the LBGE with no smoke wood and let it heat up while the prep in the kitchen started. I was shooting for 425d.

I pulled this out of the freezer this morning and thawed all day in the fridge. I smoked this sometime early November, portioned and vacuum sealed:

And these are the best pre-made pie crusts I've ever had. FAR easier than making my own crust.

Started with the "trinity":

Which went into a dutch oven with butter, salt, pepper, oregano and thyme (I didn't have parsley as the recipe called for):

When they were tender, I added 2 chicken bullion cubes and 2C water:

When it came to a boil, in went 3 potatoes, cubed:

While the taters cooked, in a sauce pan I put the turkey, some more butter and let that warm......

Then added some flour and milk to ROUX it up.....

THEN, when the potatoes were tender, but still firm, I added the turkey mix into the pot:

Then tasted and it was all happy, happy, happy......

I put one of the pie crusts in the bottom of a glass pie pan:

Added the turkey pie filling:

Then added the top pie crust, sealed and fluted the edge and cut some slits in the top:

I then took it out to the Egg. Suprisingly, it had climbed to nearly 600 degrees!

So on it went....

The recipe called for cooking it at 425 for 15 minutes, then reducing the oven temp to 350 for 20 minutes until it was brown and bubbling.

SO, I just shut down the Egg. I closed all the vents and let it go, checked it once after 15 minutes (the temp had died to 400) and then again at 25 minutes in and it was nice, brown and bubbly.....

This was the second time I've made this recipe and just like the first time, it was MMMMMM MMMMMMM GOOOOOOD!

Thanks for lookin y'all!

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good man

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Great Pie, That is not only comfort food but those pictures are comfort pics. They take me back to younger days and I can almost taste it. Great Job!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks great. Pot pie is one of my favorites.

But, question for you. I always have trouble when I vac seal smoked chicken or turkey. It comes out of the freezer with a real rubbery. It's just bad. Since I see that you used vac seal turkey, I was wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Outstanding pot pie. My only problem is we decimated 2 13# birds at deer camp on Turkey day. Next day was sammies and nothing left over for a pot pie like yours Wampis.
Maybe next year.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Wampus, I have a feeling that'll be on the menu soon!

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid
[FONT=Magneto][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]En Fuego BBQ[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][INDENT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray][I]The Swashbucklers of Swine...[/I][I]Raiders of Ribs...Buccaneers of Brisket...Pillagers [/I][I]of Poultry...Marauders of Mutton...it's the Dred Pirate SchatzSea and Qrew from the mythical Isla del Fuego![/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/INDENT]__________________
SchatzSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
deguerre

Excellent! Looks as good as Redhot's.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

That looks great! I need to take my leftover smoked turkey out of the freezer to make these!

Question on the trinity: being from Louisiana, I always considered trinity to be bell pepper, onion, and celery. So is the orange stuff in your trinity orange sweet pepper or carrots?

EDIT: Never mind, I should have read the recipe.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
PatAttack

Dang, Wamp. I'd hit that. Real hard.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

You've got my vote!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Looks delicious...

Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
duelin j

Looks like I need to smoke another bird...... Damn!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

that is some fine looking pie you've got yourself there. chicken, turkey, and beef pot pies have become a staple for my wife and i as of recent.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
va92bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That looks great! I need to take my leftover smoked turkey out of the freezer to make these!

Question on the trinity: being from Louisiana, I always considered trinity to be bell pepper, onion, and celery. So is the orange stuff in your trinity orange sweet pepper or carrots?

EDIT: Never mind, I should have read the recipe.

You are right. Holy trinity is celery, onions, and peppers. He has a mirepoix which is the french version using carrots instead of peppers.

Looks awesome though. Think I have to try this one, just need some smoked turkey.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by va92bronco View Post
You are right. Holy trinity is celery, onions, and peppers. He has a mirepoix which is the french version using carrots instead of peppers.

Looks awesome though. Think I have to try this one, just need some smoked turkey.
Really? I did NOT know that. I mean I've heard onion, celery and carrots called a mirepoix (although I had NO idea that was how it was spelled ), but I thought they were also called the trinity.

My bad.

Learn somethin new every day!