MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chef Master Professional Meat Tenderizer Test with Pics

I have been wanting to test one of these for a while. I had a pork loin in the fridge so I figured it was time.

I used the tenderizer on all sides of the loin and then put it in a zip-lock with some soy sauce, National Bohemian Beer, Garlic, a little hot sauce and worcestershire sauce. Then back in the fridge for about a hour.

It then hit the Primo XL.

Overall I was impressed. There was good flavor inside the loin and it was tender. The tenderizer has 48 Stainless Steel Razor Sharp Blades.

[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I've seen those on tv. How far did the spike penatrate the meat?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

1 1/8 inch
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others

Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

I was hoping for a side by side test...one with the tenderizer and one without. I keep thinking about getting one.......

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

About 2 years ago I got one in the mail...just mailed to me. No idea why, I didn't order it...I gave it away. It never seemed like something I'd use. The person I gave it to uses it frequently though.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
I was hoping for a side by side test...one with the tenderizer and one without. I keep thinking about getting one.......
I can only eat so much in one night. If it helps at all I bought two loins and I cooked one the other night. That one was injected then cooked on the Primo. I would have to say this one was more tender and flavorful inside.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
TexasAggie97
Full Fledged Farker

How easy is it to clean?

It looks interesting.
UDS X 2 (More on the way...)
TexasAggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
How easy is it to clean?

It looks interesting.
Simple, a little soap and water in the sink. I pushed the needles out and wipped them with a sponge.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Bushay
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've had one for close to 10 years. One of the best tools in my toolbox. Works great on chicken breasts. Mine come out close to fork tender. Also great on a piece of sirloin or a strip steak. No need for a rib eye. Money well spent.
Bushay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Had one of these for awhile and a little tip if you do not already know it is to spray the needles with PAM before you use it and then it will not tend to clog with meat and not retract like it should. I like mine.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Hmmm.... jicarding- Pre chew your meat. Not a fan, sorry. I don't like the look of the meat after it is cooked. The jagged holes is unappealing to the eye. I like to prepare meats and make it tender by proper cooking techniques. I know a lot of restaurants use the jicarders to keep meat cost down, but those are restaurants I wouldn't want to go to, sorry.

Same pork cut, not jicarded

(photo property of River City Smokehouse)
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
Hmmm.... jicarding- Pre chew your meat. Not a fan, sorry. I don't like the look of the meat after it is cooked. The jagged holes is unappealing to the eye. I like to prepare meats and make it tender by proper cooking techniques. I know a lot of restaurants use the jicarders to keep meat cost down, but those are restaurants I wouldn't want to go to, sorry.
I'm not that proud. I'll use one at home when time is short, or it suits my purpose. I've got zero guilt in using one on some round steak I bought on sale, in order to get some tender CFS.

That being said, I've learned from experience to use it with moderation to keep the meat from turning into a paste!

It has earned a place in my kitchen, and I use it when I need it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

If I need to make CFS I use the meat hammer. Usually for deer meat. cordon bleu, or deep fried/breaded pork tenderloin sammiches.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Try it on chicken skin...don't go too deep, just poke through so the fat renders and bleeds out. The skin ends p a bit crispier. I use minimally on pork roasts and sometimes Tri Tips for better penetration of brines and marinades. Good tool to have.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote