MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Homemade bacon ?

I started my first pork belly for bacon. I put the tender quick on and sealed with my food saver last night. I noticed one bag seems to have more air in it today. Should be ok or should I rewrap it? I hate to waste bag but I also don't want to ruin the meat.

Thanks
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
CYvilEng
Got Wood.

Default Re: Homemade bacon ?

It's pretty common to use a Ziploc bag for curing bellies. People don't have problems with the little bit of air that is left in them. I'd leave it and continue as is.

sent from my phone
CYvilEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

I'm not 100% positive on this, but using a food saver bag may not have been a good idea. By vacuum sealing, you eliminate the room for the liquid the pork belly will release when it cures. I've only attempted bacon twice, so I'm no pro, but each time the salt has caused the belly to release liquid.

I'm interested on how this turns out for you, please keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I use plastic wrap on slab bacon and it's not air tight. You could make a small hole in the bag, let the air out and reseal.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the inpit all. My plan was using saran wrap and zip locks then I started to late at night and didn't realize I was out of saran wrap. So I went with food saver bags since I saw it done like by someone else.
I'm half temped to run to run out and get saran wrap and take out the food saver bags.
I guess it wont go bad in the food saver bag though.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually just stick my belly slabs in either 1 or 2 gallon ziplocks for the curing process and save the food sealer bags for the finished product.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

I dry cure.

Salt the meat, put in a tupperware in the fridge and each day drain off any liquid that has come out of the meat.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

last time I dry cured and vac sealed.

they came out great
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have used the gallon sized vac bags for dry curing bacon. The air (or lack of air) will not harm the process. Just make sure that if the air causes the liquid to pool to one side, be sure to rotate the bag for even coverage. The vac-pac keeps the bellies surrounded with the liquid, almost eliminating the need to rotate. But always rotate for equal dispersion of the curing agents.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

I put mine in a pan and a weighted pan on top after I put the cure one ..then let it sit in fridge for 7 days..rinse off then put back in fridge on a rack in pan to let air dry for 24 hrs..then off to the smoker..not sure if its the proper way but it comes out great ..tastes like bacon

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just one gallon ziplock bags and a four inch hotel pan. Easy to turn.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Thanks everyone. I will let them go and if the pics are good enough I will post them.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
I'm not 100% positive on this, but using a food saver bag may not have been a good idea. By vacuum sealing, you eliminate the room for the liquid the pork belly will release when it cures. I've only attempted bacon twice, so I'm no pro, but each time the salt has caused the belly to release liquid.

I'm interested on how this turns out for you, please keep us posted.
Actually, I vac-packed my bacon when I did it and still got moisture out of it. It was my first time, tho and i'm not sure that it was the same amount that would have come out if I had used ziplock bags, but it didn't seem to inhibit the process either.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
jacksedona
Take a breath!

is there any place you recommend to read about making your own bacon have not tried this yet-thanks

http://thebarbecuemaster.net