MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

I personally have to say thank you to Sterling of Big Poppa Smokers. Although I did not compete, attend, or even have the opportunity to ever meet you, the charity portion of this speaks close to home. My son was born with a kidney disease, Hydronephrosis, and we were able to catch it super early being my wife works for a Reproductive Genetics Clinic. Either way, we got to spent some quality time with the Pediatric doctors of Childrens Memorial in Chicago. So contest aside, what you did in rasing that money for others is awesome. So a personal thank you from my family and my son.

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #32
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
I personally have to say thank you to Sterling of Big Poppa Smokers. Although I did not compete, attend, or even have the opportunity to ever meet you, the charity portion of this speaks close to home. My son was born with a kidney disease, Hydronephrosis, and we were able to catch it super early being my wife works for a Reproductive Genetics Clinic. Either way, we got to spent some quality time with the Pediatric doctors of Childrens Memorial in Chicago. So contest aside, what you did in rasing that money for others is awesome. So a personal thank you from my family and my son.
Could not be said better. Most all of us go into something non-BBQ realted for our livings and family come Monday morning.

Put aside the contest, interaction, and experience....and if all you're left with is the worthwhile cause alone. We've ALL won. No more to say.

PsychedelicSmokeBBQ.com Berks County, PA

Follow us on Twitter @PsychSmokeBBQ
'Like' us on Facebook!
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #33
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

thanks everybody...The hardest part of the job was putting up with two months of shots on the internet...Its done...we had a blast....the teams had more fun and I hope the patrons had an even better time

For those of you who I didn't get to invite...I meant no disrespect..This is the first of many I hope.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #34
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
donations from patrons and supporters of the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. 25K came from the gate and merch sales.\...Includes a check slipped to e at the after awards dinner for 10K)

The KOS was the featured event for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation that is named after my son who was born with bad kidneys and had 8 operations before his 6th birthday. ( he is 24 and was one of the featured entertainers...classical guitar at the KOS) To date we have raised nearly 8 million dollars for pediatric kidney disease. The center and lab is named after Casey at UCLA and we have endowed the chair there...we also support research at Seattle Childrens Hospital
Texas Childrens Hospital and Cincinnati Childrens hospital. When I announced the KOS was benefiting the CLB people not involved in BBQ sent me additional donations.
Wow!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #35
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

congrats on a great bbq contest and giving so much to charity. nicely done.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #36
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

WOW What an awesome event and for such a Great cause.. I would have loved to have been there
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #37
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Congrats on the event and the money raised...that is worth it all right there!

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #38
que_dawg
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like this was a great event. Glad that it was a huge success and glad you raised some much needed $$$ in hard times. It's hard for most of us to realize how much better we have it than many people affected by these terrible illnesses. I bet all of those families would gladly take on some money problems to have their family members in good health. In most cases, they already have the money problems anyway because of the medical problems. Well done to all that contributed!
[url]www.facebook.com/superiorsmokers[/url]
Head Pitmaster In Charge, Superior Smokers
que_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #39
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow, amazing Sterling. Huge numbers that you have raised and will raise. Much respect bro.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

From a judges perspective, this contest was great for a couple of reasons. First, was the no garnish rule. Every box I saw was well thought out as the teams really went out of their way to fill the boxes with goodness while using very creative ways to display the meat.
The idea of handing out the meat to the teams, specifically 8 chicken quarters, gave the judges something other than thighs to look at. I really appreciated that opportunity.
Thanks Sterling for bringing this new concept to the bbq community. You and your staff worked really hard to put this together and the results showed.
Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #41
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Great job to Sterling and his Big Poppas staff Its all been said, but I'll say it again! A 1st class event all the way - the annemities and accomodations were second to none. Not to mention how the contest itself was ran, there are a couple of invitationals out there that could learn a thing or two about judge selection, reps, and just how to run a contest in general from Sterling and his crew! It was an honor to be asked to compete, and I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity!

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Does anyone have some pics or maybe a video from the contest. Would love to see them. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #43
YellowSuge
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a few on my FB page here

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #44
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSuge View Post
I have a few on my FB page here
Awesome! Thank you.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
wyocurt
On the road to being a farker

WOW it was great and a big THANK YOU Big Pappa. It was the nicest venue and setting that was ever. From the time you walked in you had the feeling that this is class. Thank You for raising all the money for charity and I will say it was something the west coast needed. again a job well done .
FEC 100
wsm 22.5
RMBBQA Member
CBBQA
cbj #63452:-P
wyocurt is offline   Reply With Quote