MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Toss the lettuce

Ok, all you cooks who think there shouldn't be garnish for a KCBS contest, here's a chance to have your voices heard....

http://www.tossthelettuce.com/
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting, I will have to think about that.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
chad

I'd like to see how Kevin Bevington "voted" - he's 1/2 of HomeBBQ.com and the reigning Florida BBQ Association team of the year!!

I vote lose it - I don't mind using it but WAY too much attention is paid the lettuce and not enough on the meat. IMHO! If the option really becomes an option nearly everyone will quit using garnish!! It IS pretty but if you lose 1 point because some ******* judge see's a yellow spot on a farking lettuce leaf then it IS NOT worth it!! If lettuce stays then the whole "appearance" score needs to disappear or be weighted so far down it can't destroy a score - focus only on taste and tenderness.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Bigmista

Brooklyn tosses salads.

Pass it on.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
parrothead

Quote:
I vote lose it - I don't mind using it but WAY too much attention is paid the lettuce and not enough on the meat. IMHO! If the option really becomes an option nearly everyone will quit using garnish!! It IS pretty but if you lose 1 point because some ******* judge see's a yellow spot on a farking lettuce leaf then it IS NOT worth it!! If lettuce stays then the whole "appearance" score needs to disappear or be weighted so far down it can't destroy a score - focus only on taste and tenderness.

Dave, how do you really feel?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
chad

I've spent way too much money the last few months to be PC about judging -- I've earned my right to express my opinion! :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 01-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
I've spent way too much money the last few months to be PC about judging -- I've earned my right to express my opinion! :D
Holy sheet, we agree

At the KCBS judging class, I gave high marks to pulled pork presented in a pile, no lettuce

I thought it looked awesome.

Others voted it down, no lettuce.

Show me the money, I mean meat!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
Brooklyn tosses salads.

Pass it on.
Wait till the bash. I got a special salad for you right here.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Here appears to be the source of the website.

A registry for garnish elimination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Bad Byron on January 21, 2005 at 12:16:03:

For KCBS members who would like to request to the board and rules committee for the abolishment of garnish in KCBS competitions.

A hard copy of the registry will be presented to the board and rules committe in October of this year.
This is simply a request.

Byron Chism
buttrub.com

Toss the Lettuce
__________________________________________________ _____

WORKS FOR ME --(what DF said)

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i say trash the rabbit food. Spend way to much time getting purdy leaves and arranging boxes

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
chad

I read a lot of the forum this morning -- interesting reading. You can tell the posters that really compete from the ones that have been to a contest once!! If the majority rules lettuce will go away next year.

However, the lettuce/garnish does add another variable (as if we need another variable with a whole table of judges!). However, saying you use lettuce/parsley to cover up mistakes or to keep the sauce from pooling or the meat from shifting is just LAME. If it pools it's too much sauce, if you want to keep the meat from shifting then put more in the box, etc.

Heck, I'll continue to play no matter which way it goes. But buying, cleaning, storing, and selecting the perfect leaf when you're many hundreds of miles from home is problematic.

Just my $.02 worth.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I think if garnish is to be part of the game it shouldn't be limited to just lettuce and parsley. Go hog wild with it, use whatever you want, make little lemon pigs to go in the pork boxes. Barring that, TOSS the Lettuce. It should be about the meat.

I think if I understand it correctly, appearance is weighted down in the scoring in the current KCBS scoring system.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #13
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

David, FYI - I was number 6 to register on the Toss The Lettuce web site.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

We had a lite competition is Seattle this weekend, one team used no garnish at all. They finished 3rd overall. If a team works on presentations it works using no garnish. I talked to a head cook a few days before the event, his rib turn-in he was going to use rib tips to fill the box. I reminded him that anything in the box could pick by the judges to eat and that he may want to rethink that.
I was the Rep for the competition and I will say they did a good job on the presentations.

I like the idea as a cook you can choose to use garnish or not, I've seen a lot of turn-ins where the team put so little thought in the use of garnish that they should have not tried.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 08:23 AM   #15
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Jim, was this a sanctioned contest? If so, I applaud the cook that had the nerve to try it, and the judges who judged it.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote