MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Thanksgiving Dress Rehearsal (Boob--er pRon)

Decided the other day to cook a turkey since we had one in the freezer and so I can practice ahead of Thanksgiving.

Brined in the Turkey 101 brine recipe for about 40 hours. Then injected with 2 TBS of butter melted, then mixed with 1/2 C of chicken broth, splash of lemon juice, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp of sea salt.

Put on when the fire got right and temp was about 300. Placed bacon over the breast to slow it down a bit and keep it from getting too dry.

Cruising along for about 3 hours now. IT is 127. More boobies to follow.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i like the idea of putting bacon on it. i wonder how much of a difference it actually makes. i love bacon, i even put bacon on my bacon, then serve it with a side of bacon. looking forward to more pron!!!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

There was a discussion earlier today from somebody saying bacon doesn't help keep the meat moist. While I mostly agree with that, this does help here. I've done several birds like this and it shields the breast from the heat while you get the legs/thighs up to temp.

And it's bacon. So how can you go wrong with bacon?

More pron of the finished product soon.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I think I had a premonition about this. I wish you had wrapped the whole thing in bacon and then I'd know there was something magical about this day.

In any case I'm looking forward to the results and I want to know if those breasts taste like bacon.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Went into the foil about 130 degree IT. Bacon was pulled off the breast at 155. In hindsight, I'd like a little more color to the skin and would probably pull the bacon at 145 next time.

And we're done!

Some of the drippings to make a gravy. No Thanksgiving is complete without some gravy.

Nice juicy breast meat. Lots of moisture still in there. Took the turkey off the smoker with the IT at 175.

Finished product and ready to eat!

Last edited by Outnumbered; 11-12-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looks really good to me
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Looks delicious!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Damn! That goods great

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
NorthwestBBQ

Bro, while it looks good and all, and I'm sure many will criticize me, combining foul and pork raw like that is not a good idea. I know Chef Ramsay and Irvine would go Ballistic!

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

While you're absolutely correct if you're consuming all of it, that didn't happen NW.

Should have mentioned that I discarded the bacon and in now way would it be safe to eat...however, the dog thought it was delish!

Then if you get the IT, or in this case, the external temp, cross contamination isn't going to happen.

But it's a great reminder.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
bigabyte

Nice looking boobies!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
I think I had a premonition about this. I wish you had wrapped the whole thing in bacon and then I'd know there was something magical about this day.

In any case I'm looking forward to the results and I want to know if those breasts taste like bacon.
No it did not taste like bacon. Sorta like a turkey-ish bacon.

Actually, the bacon was on the skin only, so it was more of a shield/baster. It tasted like turkey.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

NWBBQ won't like this one, but Oldyote this is your premonition come to life.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/bacon-wrapped-turkey

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
DougMorford
Found some matches.

Someone is a skilled bacon weaver. In the dailymeal version, I think I would have removed the skin and replaced it with the bacon. I'm not partial to flabby skin on my turkey.

I am confused about the contamination problem. If you're cooking it, why does it matter if the bacon and turkey have come into contact? If it all comes up to temp, it should be fine. These are just my thoughts, please enlighten me.
DougMorford is offline   Reply With Quote