Best Equipment for cutting UDS

I bought two last December for my nephew for a weekend UDS build. Dropped one on the garage floor and the plastic housing broke, fell apart. had to wrap it in electrical tape to hobble our way through the build.

The only cutting blade I had disintegrate on me in 30 years of steel fabricating was an HF thin cutting blade. These are very thin blades and if you get one just a little off center, or try to cut a radius, it'll blow apart on you.

I've owned and used Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee and Metabo 4", 4/12' and 5"grinders for years at work and home. Never had one fail me, break, crack, etc. Dropped them many times from heights, etc.

The 4 1/2" angle head grinder is probably the most versatile tool I use. Grind, cut, sand, polish, wire brush, cut stone, etc. Don't skimp, spend another $60.00 and have a keeper.

I have dropped mine many times. I bought it to cut the rocker panels off an old van and has been one of my favorite tools ever since

guess I am lucky, I do have an old all metal Black and Decker 8" but that sucker is heavy

I am not comparing it an $80 tool. For some light duty use like this UDS it will work just fine

I have dropped mine many times. I bought it to cut the rocker panels off an old van and has been one of my favorite tools ever since

guess I am lucky, I do have an old all metal Black and Decker 8" but that sucker is heavy

I am not comparing it an $80 tool. For some light duty use like this UDS it will work just fine

You must be a lucky, I know I'm not.

I have a lot of steel working tools and I'd have to say I get the most use out of my 4 1/2" angles, can get into tight spaces, one handed control, light weight, powerful, multitude of uses..

I have (6) of them, all chucked with different sanding pads, grinding discs, cut off, polishing, wire brush, etc. Got tired of constantly changing out the discs when working on projects.

Oh yeah, I worked the 8" B & D's with the cast housing back in the 70's and 80's. Heavy, wear you out.

+1 for the angle grinder...

I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder as well to remove the entire lip from my drum and make all the cut-outs for my round basket from 1/4" steel plate... the only difference was that I changed out the standard cutting disc for a small diamond disc. They have the same size pilot hole to center the disc, so all you need to do is flip over the mandrel to secure it properly...

Back