MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Wood identification help.

My buddy had a tree fall down last year and he told me it was hickory. So I of course said "how about hookin' a brother up?" Well, he did, which is awesome. He thinks this is pignut hickory. What say you folks?

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Last edited by fingerlickin'; 11-27-2012 at 06:39 PM..
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
willowrun
Knows what a fatty is.

In the sawmill world hickory is hickory whether it be pignut, shagbark, etc... that looks like hickory to me, in one shape or another.Thats why i run a sawmill and not a bbq joint, I leave the real answers to the pros here.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Sure looks like Hickory to me!! If you are not sure and want to send a batch out for inspection, I will give you my shipping address
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You are in the right area for pignut hickory.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Hickory. Any pics of the leaves?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
fingerlickin'

No pics of the leaves unfortunately. Thank you guys though, you've reassured me that it's hickory, pignut or not. Now it's time to burn it up! :thumbup:

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

That's definately pignut hickory. I used a lot of it when I was stationed down in VA. That was one of the most prominent species of hickory down where we were. Up here in Maine, all I can find is shag bark hickory. I'd either split it and let it season for closer to a year, or cut it into chunks and let it season for 6 months or so.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

To the definitely hickory folks, is there any chance this is poplar? The bark looks awefully similar. Without leaves, the two when they're smaller (like this) look very close IMHO.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Poplar usually has smoother silvery bark when it is smaller. (at least in Minnesota)
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Mo-Dave

I know I have hickory as soon as my chainsaw makes its first entry wound, no mistaking the smell if you know what it smells like. Best way to tell is get a small sliver and light it up. Personally I would use it in chunks now and not at 6 months or a year. As I have said many time, I like mine green, unless that is all you are using for heat and smoke, then it needs some seasoning.
Dave

Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
fingerlickin'

He said the tree has been down for about a year so it should be seasoned already. I'm gonna chunk up some of those rounds and give it a shot. Thanks everyone.

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
To the definitely hickory folks, is there any chance this is poplar? The bark looks awefully similar. Without leaves, the two when they're smaller (like this) look very close IMHO.

Three things tell me it's not Poplar in my mind:

1) The bark is very tight and raised in spots. As pignut hickory get's older, the raised parts of the bark form an almost diamond pattern, which I can see starting to happen in the bark pic.

2) The dark spots in the pics of the cut cross section. That looks to me to be the trade mark dark sap line of the hickory species, I have yet to see this marking in poplar.

3) The color of the wood itself. All the poplar I've ever worked with has had a greyish green color to it. This looks to be a much more pronounced cream color that I know to be associated with the hickory species.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I know I have hickory as soon as my chainsaw makes its first entry wound, no mistaking the smell if you know what it smells like. Best way to tell is get a small sliver and light it up. Personally I would use it in chunks now and not at 6 months or a year. As I have said many time, I like mine green, unless that is all you are using for heat and smoke, then it needs some seasoning.
Dave
You are right about the smell. I broke the hickory handle on a splitting maul, and cut the head off with a miter saw. Just cutting through the handle released that tell-tale scent! There was not doubt it really had a hickory handle.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Funny about the hickory smell. As part of my/our MBN presentation we freshly split a piece of hickory and a piece of oak and use the smell of the freshly split wood in the
on-site presentation.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote