MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #256
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_ View Post
I've been using Webers since 1978 and am on my fourth 22.5", this one is a silver. I'd like some advice. It seems that as soon as I put the lid on, the charcoal starts to go out, usually just retaining one hot spot. Over the years I've learned how to work around it by rotating the food and/or leaving the lid off for a few minutes to let some of the charcoal reheat but this is not the optimum Weber experience. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Vents top and bottom are wide open. Ashes completely cleaned out prior to burn. Doesn't matter if charcoal is completely covering the bottom or only partially. I use Kingston briquettes but have tried others. Placement of grill is in a patio area with walls on three sides so there is virtually no wind.

Appreciate any advice from the Brethren.
I started cooking with a Weber around 1980. My Webers work similarly. Putting the lid on with all vents wide open will slow the coals down, but not to the point of creating only 1 hot spot except near the coals of course. I now have a Weber Performer with the standard thermometer. After lighting a full Weber charcoal chimney with regular Kingsford, the thermo reads around 400 F. It quickly drops to around 350 F and then very gradually drops from there. It will be between 300 and 325 F over an hour later. I am talking about indirect cooking here, and I don't open the lid until necessary. I also add a few chunks of dry wood to the coals for smoke. Also, I always put the top vents to the opposite side of the coals to draw the heat and smoke through the kettle. Are you doing this? You did not mention the quantity of charcoal you use to get going, Assuming you are using a full chimney starter like me, the only thing I can think of is this... When I lived in Chicago (19 years ago), the summers were very humid. I would sometimes leave the bag of charcoal under the kettle on the rack. I noticed if the bag was left outdoors for an extended period of time, the charcoal would absorb moisture from the humidity. Those coals never burned right after that. I found the coals would cool down to the point of being almost useless for indirect cooking. Now I always keep charcoal in the garage or basement. Don't know if this helps or not...

Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #257
Ty_
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Chezz Hawg View Post
I started cooking with a Weber around 1980. My Webers work similarly. Putting the lid on with all vents wide open will slow the coals down, but not to the point of creating only 1 hot spot except near the coals of course. I now have a Weber Performer with the standard thermometer. After lighting a full Weber charcoal chimney with regular Kingsford, the thermo reads around 400 F. It quickly drops to around 350 F and then very gradually drops from there. It will be between 300 and 325 F over an hour later. I am talking about indirect cooking here, and I don't open the lid until necessary. I also add a few chunks of dry wood to the coals for smoke. Also, I always put the top vents to the opposite side of the coals to draw the heat and smoke through the kettle. Are you doing this? You did not mention the quantity of charcoal you use to get going, Assuming you are using a full chimney starter like me, the only thing I can think of is this... When I lived in Chicago (19 years ago), the summers were very humid. I would sometimes leave the bag of charcoal under the kettle on the rack. I noticed if the bag was left outdoors for an extended period of time, the charcoal would absorb moisture from the humidity. Those coals never burned right after that. I found the coals would cool down to the point of being almost useless for indirect cooking. Now I always keep charcoal in the garage or basement. Don't know if this helps or not...
Thanks, Chez. I'm basically doing direct cooking, burgers, steaks, etc. so I spread the charcoal evenly along the bottom grate. It's not a question of where to put the vent because the charcoal is all over. I even use the direct method for chicken because it very quickly becomes indirect when the charcoal dies. At that point, the chicken has browned a bit and I can move it around to the spots where the charcoal has died. I use my offset for ribs, pork, brisket. As I said, I use enough charcoal to cover the bottom one or two coals deep. It's hard to say how much because I always start out with the leftover burnt charcoal from the previous cook. I would say that a weber chimney starter would be about right. I do leave the charcoal outside but it's not nearly as humid here as the midwest. I'm going to bring it inside just to be sure.

Just today I made a basket that I can set in the bottom and cook indirectly. In fact, it's seasoning right now in the OTS. I'm going to start experimenting with it and will position the vent as you suggest. I'm also going to buy a thermometer for the lid so I will stop cooking by "feel", like I've done for years. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #258
wecsobbq
Got Wood.

I rescued this one from my neighbor. FREE. He was glad to get rid of it I think he thinks I am a little nuts for asking for it. He just bought the house from an old couple, they left it behind. It needs a new ash catcher and one touch system. Ordered and on the way, will be here tommorow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0131001329.jpg (99.2 KB, 939 views)
File Type: jpg 0131001506a.jpg (91.5 KB, 935 views)
wecsobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #259
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

If you dont like those old wooden handles, I wil trade you a set of brand new ones for them....seriously.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #260
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks, Chez. I'm basically doing direct cooking, burgers, steaks, etc. so I spread the charcoal evenly along the bottom grate. It's not a question of where to put the vent because the charcoal is all over. I even use the direct method for chicken because it very quickly becomes indirect when the charcoal dies. At that point, the chicken has browned a bit and I can move it around to the spots where the charcoal has died. I use my offset for ribs, pork, brisket. As I said, I use enough charcoal to cover the bottom one or two coals deep. It's hard to say how much because I always start out with the leftover burnt charcoal from the previous cook. I would say that a weber chimney starter would be about right. I do leave the charcoal outside but it's not nearly as humid here as the midwest. I'm going to bring it inside just to be sure.

Just today I made a basket that I can set in the bottom and cook indirectly. In fact, it's seasoning right now in the OTS. I'm going to start experimenting with it and will position the vent as you suggest. I'm also going to buy a thermometer for the lid so I will stop cooking by "feel", like I've done for years. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Your vvelcome! If I am cooking direct, for steaks or burgers, I will position the coals so that I leave about 1/4 - 1/3 of the cooking grate area over a spot with no coals. This will leave a cool area on the grill in case of flareups so I can move the meat to a safe spot. This also gives me a thicker bed of coals because I usually always start out with a full chimney of new coals and they are not spread out over the entire grill. The thicker the bed of coals, the hotter the heat will be and the coals will last longer. Starting with the old snuffed out coals combined with new coals spread all across the entire grill in a layer of 1 or 2 deep may be the problem. I suspect you are cooking for many because you are spreading the coals out across the entire grill. I would suggest starting with a full chimney of new charcoal. Once it's ready to be dumped, dump them on top of the old snuffed out coals. They will light quickly because they are almost burned out anyway. Cover the kettle and let the new coals settle down to a manageable cooking temp. This should only take about 5 - 7 minutes. Now your cooking with a good, thicker bed of coals that have cooled down a bit and will last awhile. Starting with old & new coals spread out thin, just isn't enough fuel. By the time the coals settle in there aren't enough to sustain the kind of heat you need. Also, I never do chicken direct, I always go indirect. I usually do only thighs on the Weber. Again 1 full chimney of new coals, poured into 2 piles on either side of a drip pan which is in the center. Chicken over the drip pan and the lid vents centered as well. A little wood for smoke. After 30 minutes flip the thighs. After 30 more minutes I sauce them on 1 side. After 10 minutes I flip them and sauce the other side. Wait 10 minutes and they are done, "perfect" every time! Total cook time is 1 hour and 20 minutes. When they are done the Weber is still around 300 F or so.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #261
west
Got rid of the matchlight.

First post, I'm glad to see others are crazy about Weber too. I've been planning to buy a 22" kettle this year but after reading this post Sunday I checked on the local Craigslist to see if I could find one. "Weber" didn't return anything, but struck gold using "Webber".

Both for $50. Not a total steal, but I needed a Smokey Joe for my camping trips so I figure the 22" cost $30 :)

Also told my dad never to get rid of his 22" from 1975, the one I learned to grill on in the 90s.
west is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #262
mbshop
Babbling Farker

what a great find. three wood handles ! looks in great shape also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecsobbq View Post
I rescued this one from my neighbor. FREE. He was glad to get rid of it I think he thinks I am a little nuts for asking for it. He just bought the house from an old couple, they left it behind. It needs a new ash catcher and one touch system. Ordered and on the way, will be here tommorow!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #263
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Vents top and bottom are wide open.
What year weber do you have? Do it have the one touch vent or with old style daisy wheel vents like on the lid? The old style vents don't allow much air in since they are so small. If you're having this issue all the time with the one touch cleaning system and large vents then maybe having it out of the wind is part of the problem. Heck I have no idea, just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 02-03-2010 at 12:04 AM..
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #264
wecsobbq
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
what a great find. three wood handles ! looks in great shape also.
Its in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning. The lid is really dull, any body know of a good way to bring it back?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #265
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Its in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning. The lid is really dull, any body know of a good way to bring it back?
I was told steal wool

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #266
ScreamingChicken
Full Fledged Farker

Depending on how heavily oxidized the finish is, polishing or rubbing compound would work once any dirt and grease have been removed.

Brad
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #267
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Bar keepers Friend (BKF) is a terrific product for this, will not scratch the porcelain coating.
Lowes carries it and its cheap.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #268
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
This kettle was neglected by the previous owners and must be turned over to an authorized Weber Grill Decency agent as evidence in the legal case that will soon be pending against them. Lucky for you, I am an authorized agent. PM me for shipping details.

Seriously, if the dome is dull you may not be able to get that glossy finish back. I clean my Webers with Greased Lightning and a green ScotchBrite pad. If it doesn't shine after that, it's not going to.

Also, take those wood handles off, give them a very light sanding and brush them with some teak oil (available at Home Depot). Multiple light coats. It will waterproof them and give them a very deep, rich finish.

Good score!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #269
wecsobbq
Got Wood.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna give it a shot but I don't think the shine will come back. I already tried baking soda figuring it would be a very light abrasive and that did not touch it. As for the handles I can definitely bring those back. I forgot to tell you guys i scored this one from craigs list for 10 bucks right before Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3n43m43l75Td5Q15P19c3f9ddfb36ea671872.jpg (5.5 KB, 859 views)

Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #270
hawtin47
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I found my red kettle at a garage sale about 10 years ago - never used, mint condition...until I knocked it over taking to my truck. Idiot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ11.jpg (155.6 KB, 833 views)

[FONT=Century Gothic]"And there came a voice to him:[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]'[COLOR=red]Rise, Peter; kill and eat.[COLOR=black]'"[/COLOR][/COLOR] (Acts 10:13)[/FONT]
[/FONT]
hawtin47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods