Doing a Pork Shoulder for the first time on my ECB!

T

TWQQ

Yep, so I've had it sitting in my freezer for a while, but now its time has come...I have a small (by US standards...) pork shoulder weighing in at 1.3kg (about 3lbs) ready to rock on Sunday.

I'm from England, but I live in Taiwan, so commercial rubs aren't really available in my neck of the woods. In the past, I've concocted my own rubs following various recipes from my BBQ books and from the internet, but this time I'm going main stream...

A good friend of mine recently returned home to Wisconsin, and on his return to TW he brought me some Smokey Jon's rub and sauce - as requested!

Anyway, I've cooked a pork shoulder in my oven before, but this is the first time on my modified ECB. I've cooked ribs and chickens on it, but it always seems to run too high for the ribs. This time I will be corking some of the extra holes in the charcoal pan - this should bring down the temp, right?

OK, so I'll be posting pron later, but for a 3lb pork shoulder what temp should I be going for, and for how long? Any tips or hints will be mucho appreciated! Thanks!

I like to cook mine to about 190 degrees and then pull it and rest it for an hour (provided I can wait that long) in a cooler. The temps will rise a bit and it will finish cooking while it rests. I think the rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound but I'm not that great with timing. That's a small shoulder (I assume Butt), and it could cook faster than that. Good luck.

^^^x2
Try for around 250*f. for your grate temp.

I forgot what the mod. was for the ECB. Do you still use the water pan as a diffuser?

Yeah, I got the water pan in there, but with the mods there are too many open holes letting the hear rise unless I cork them...So I'll probably plug them with my friends from the bottles of wine...Here's hoping!

Back