BBQ Brethren "Cakes and Pies" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[SIZE=+2]"Cakes and Pies"[/SIZE]
CakeVsPie.jpg

Which will win?

...as chosen by Que-Dawg, the winner of the Shellfish Throwdown!

I am personally very excited about this category, and I fear the food envy the Brethren will unleash upon an unsuspecting world with their creations, given the upcoming holidays and all.

For cakes, not everyone may feel they have a cooker suitable for making cakes. If that is the case, there is no reason on Earth you can't come up with a pie that would fit within the rules and garner lots of voting attention!

Here are the simple and unchanging rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1) The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 10/30 - 11/8 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 11/8.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin Monday 11/9 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 11/13. All votes will be public.

Don't forget the Wild Game Throwdown is still accepting entries until midnight Sunday night (11/1)!

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Soups, Stews & Chili Throwdown.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Oh I'm excited about this one! I don't have anythign in mind but can't wait to see what you other grillin' fools do!

I'm thinking a form of savory pie, but my mind is swimming in the options!:cool:

Man, I got an idea, but, I am out of town, away from my kettle.

But, I will be at my sister's and bother's and they have kettles. There will be cake!

Apple Pie On The Egg

Someone's got to be first. Homemade except for the Crust.

Picture005.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Well, now I won't be doing that apple pie. On to plan B.
Thanks Terry, looks yummy!

shake the tree and see what falls out... apples! :biggrin:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Me be headed to Arizona just as soon as I hit the Post Quick Reply button. Awsome pie bro.

Wowser! I don't know what I'm gonna be able to do here. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Nice
pi-1.jpg
I can think of 3.141592653589 reasons why I like that.....

Beautiful pie!! I'm ready to vote. :biggrin:

Empanadas

Had some left over peccadillo filling, I added more cheese and chipotle and thought I'd give it a shot, made the pie crust, fired up the kettle. Cooked on foil indirectly, I had to finish them over direct heat as the bottoms refused to brown. They worked out ok, very tasty. Gave props to BB as if it wasn’t for you all I would have never made these. OBTW, the reason I entered these is that I saw a Elton Brown show on "hand Pies" so I'll leave that up to you all.

empanadas001.jpg

empanadas002.jpg

empanadas004.jpg

And the final entry shot

empanadas007.jpg

Last edited:
apple piake

mixed a box of nana's apple cake mix with two peeled & chopped granny smith apples, one cup of chopped walnuts and two eggs and placed in a buttered cast iron skillet and topped with strips of phyllo dough painted with melted butter and dusted with cinnamon and 50 minutes at 375 degrees and served with powdered sugar & plain yogurt

applepiake-010.jpg

applepiake-011.jpg

applepiake-013.jpg

applepiake-016.jpg

applepiake-015.jpg

i call it apple piake and dang it's good! 8)

use the last photo

Back