THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Well, I'm a noob and I recently bought ALL the ingredients in the 3 recipes below.
I made all 3 recipes, but they just didn't "do it" for me.

I must say, as I'm writing this, something just dawned on me: The best bottle sauce I've tried is Kraft's Spicy Honey....and NONE of these recipes call for honey. :doh:

I'm looking for a sauce that's kinda sweet with a nice pepper kick, but not too overpowering. Just want to compliment a good butt or chicken.

I've made the following:

----BBQ-Pit-Boys Sauce----(Was too vinegary - lacked a bbq flavor)
2 Quarts Ketchup (64oz.)
2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar
1-2 tbs. Garlic Powder
1 tbs. Celery Seed
1 tbs. Ground Cumin
1 tbs. Chili Powder
1-2 tbs.Cayenne Powder
1/8th cup Coarse Salt
1/2-1 cup Water

--------Big Al's KC BBQ Sauce-----(smells like tomato sauce, not much bbq flavor)
2 cups ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

-----Memphis Style-----(molasses and Worcestershire was strong)
1 cup ketchup (Heinz)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup apple-cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Try putting your chicken in pineapple juice with some red pepper flakes. I do that with thighs all the time and everyone loves it.

This is what I do when I want to come up with a new traditional red sauce.

Get a pot and mix the following.
1 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of worcestershire
1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses

Heat this on warm while you add other ingredients or more of these to suit your liking. Just be sure to add ingredients in small measured amounts. If you add too much of something at once and you don't like it, then you have just ruined the whole batch.

Also cleanse your pallette often with water or whatever because BBQ sauce tasting numbs your tastebuds pretty quick.

Do all of this and you should end up with a sauce that suits your liking.

Hope this helps!

Try this:

Ingredients
1 bottle (18 oz) KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce
1 cup Grape jelly
2 Tbsp Your favorite hot sauce (I typically use Trappey's or Louisiana)

Method
Melt the jelly in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.

Add the remaining sauce ingredients, whisk to combine, remove from the
heat and let cool.

BasicChickenDrumsticks_1_5.jpg

John

How to make Williams' Spicy Apple Grillin' Sauce

This a great sauce that jpw23:thumb::thumb::thumb: posted awhile back I usually do half batches and I do tone it down on the cayenne(1/2 TBLS) and red pepper (2 1/2 TBLS) and brown sugar I've been using turbinado sugar about a 2 cups, this sauce is a great all purpose sauce but it's really good on pork.

Start with 64 oz. catsup
100_2487.jpg

Then add 5 cups of apple cider vinegar
100_2488.jpg

Add 2 pounds of brown sugar
100_2489.jpg

2 cloves garlic or 2 tbls of ground dried garlic
100_2490.jpg

1/4 tsp cinnamon
100_2491.jpg

5 tbls crushed red pepper
100_2492.jpg

1 tbls ground cayenne pepper
100_2493.jpg

2 tbls worcestershire sauce
100_2494.jpg

1 large onion chopped
100_2495.jpg

1 large apple chopped
100_2496.jpg

everything in a large non-reactive pot
100_2497.jpg

bring to rolling boil stirring constantly and reduce volume by 1/3
100_2498.jpg

makes roughly 3.5 quarts give or take.
may be canned and stored for months or refrigerated

Enjoy

I also use the Williams' Spicy Apple Grillin' Sauce but I must be a bit sick because I throw a few habaneros in the mix to add some more heat :crazy:

I also use the Williams' Spicy Apple Grillin' Sauce but I must be a bit sick because I throw a few habaneros in the mix to add some more heat :crazy:

Ya the way I make it is for the family and friends, I've got some ghost pepper left over from some hot sauce I made might just try them out I love hot chit, I really haven't ever made it with full strength just cause I know nobody other then me would eat it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Pick your favorite recipe and substitute your favorite bottled BBQ sauce for the ketchup.
This is how I make my "Sweet Georgia Brown" sauce from a Carolina Red recipe.

Try this:

Ingredients
1 bottle (18 oz) KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce
1 cup Grape jelly
2 Tbsp Your favorite hot sauce (I typically use Trappey's or Louisiana)

Method
Melt the jelly in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.

Add the remaining sauce ingredients, whisk to combine, remove from the
heat and let cool.

BasicChickenDrumsticks_1_5.jpg

John

add some rub, butter, and honey to this and you have a really excellent sauce.

This a great sauce that jpw23:thumb::thumb::thumb: posted awhile back I usually do half batches and I do tone it down on the cayenne(1/2 TBLS) and red pepper (2 1/2 TBLS) and brown sugar I've been using turbinado sugar about a 2 cups, this sauce is a great all purpose sauce but it's really good on pork.

this sauce is very good as well, but DO NOT boat motor it at the end if you don't want it so chunky, strain and use the remaining stuff as a chutney.

Snyper, did you ever find and read through Infernooo's old sauce competition thread? Here it is:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99442&highlight=infernooo+sauce+competition

It's a long read, but there are a LOT of very good recipes, but IMHO better than the recipes are his ratings and descriptions because he does a very thorough job.

That, and what John and Boogiesnap said above is heading in the right direction. My chicken sauce is very close to a hybrid between John's and Boogie's.

When I want Sweet & Spicy I either use Sweet Baby Rays or KC Masterpiece, cut with coffee,
( a cup of hot coffee ) add powdered mustard, cayenne,black pepper, honey ect...
Combine, cook about 30 minutes. Makes a thin sauce for basting.
Taste it and adjust to taste.

I mop chicken after about 20 minutes and again every 30 minutes.
Results are sweet,sticky and spicy. I like it on Ribs too.

Best of all... It don't taste like it came out of a bottle.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I found a sauce at a restraunt I really liked. It had the spicy kick I liked. I copied the ingredients and played with the ammounts until I reached what i thought was a perfect match to the restraunt sauce. I had a bottle so I was able to do a sise by side comparison. My wife and my son agreed. I wanted more sweetness so I added brown sugar. That was it. Not changing a thing. Add more cayenne if you want it hotter and don't judge the heat until after it cooks for a half hour.

1 cup Water
3/4 cup High Fructose Corn Syrup
1–6 oz. can Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Distilled Vinegar
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/8 cup Mustard
1/8 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Pineapple Juice Concentrate
1 tablespoon Spices(1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper, 2 tsp Black Pepper)
1 tablespoon Molasses
1 tablespoon Honey
1 tablespoon Soybean Oil
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Chili Pepper (ground)
1 teaspoon Smoke Flavor
1 teaspoon Dehydrated Onion
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice Powder
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 dash Turmeric.

Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat and whisk until smooth.
Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 45 min. or until thick.
Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Try this: I have been making this for about 5 years and people really love it. It tends to be on the sweet hot side. it really lends itself well to be mixed with whiskey or southern comfort... My younger friends really love the hot whiskey flavored.

Oh the white sugar I have now switched to turbinado instead....

Attachments

• BBQ Sauce #2.pdf
    64.6 KB · Views: 25
When I want sweet/spicy, I just do 50/50 Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red. Quick, simple, and a crowd pleaser.

50/50 mix of blues hog original and tennessee red. Ifyou need more spice, add flakes or indian chili powder as needed. I like the chili powder from the a local Indian (from India, not native american) market - it has very little flavor but packs a ton of heat. Doesn't effect the flavor of the sauce.

Try this: I have been making this for about 5 years and people really love it. It tends to be on the sweet hot side. it really lends itself well to be mixed with whiskey or southern comfort... My younger friends really love the hot whiskey flavored.

Oh the white sugar I have now switched to turbinado instead....

evaporated cane works really well and whole foods sells it in bulk for dirt cheap.

It's all about the jelly. pick your favorite seedless jelly and use it for your sweet. then spice it up for your heat. Also a spicy rub and a sweet finish sauce can be a great combination.

First time post
This is one of the sauces I make:

½ large onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
¾ cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
2 cups catsup
⅓ cup vinegar
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup brown sugar, packed
¾ cup molasses
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ tablespoon salt
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
⅓ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1. Combine onion, garlic, and Jack Daniel's Whiskey in a 3-quart saucepan.
2. Saute' until onion and garlic are translucent, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and light mixture; flame for 20 seconds.
3. Add all remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a medium simmer.
5. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Run sauce through a medium strainer to remove onion and garlic bits if you prefer a smoother sauce.
7.Cool and enjoy.
NOTE: This sauce gets better with age. If time permits, keep it in the refrigerator a day or so to develop a deeper, richer taste.

Back