MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Meater Block Update Fail...Help!

I powered up the Meater Block and it asked to update. I hit install and it started, then stopped and said I lost connection, but I didn't. I have an iPhone and I was right next to my router. Bluetooth, Wifi and Cloud were all functioning properly. Anyone else having this issue? Help, please.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Jbowie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe Bowie
Default Meater

Same here....

Old 07-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Well...I tried it again, today, and it worked!!! When they say get close to the router, they mean close! Got my Block and iPhone about 2 feet from the router. I went thru the process again...and, viola...it updated! I now have the latest Meater Block software.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
bald
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Ed

What is the general consensus of the meater? From looking online most normal people seem to have issues in comparison to the guys who “ influence “ who seem to rave about it
bald is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #5
Kavan
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Kavan

Hey!

Have you tried using a mobile hotspot if your MEATER Block is having trouble updating?
https://support.meater.com/faqs/updating-meater-block

- Kav
Kavan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #6
darita
is One Chatty Farker

For some reason, although the Meater works fine now on Wifi or Cloud, it had a hard time updating. I bought it to use with a Rotisserie, but haven't had the pleasure yet, so we'll see.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald View Post
What is the general consensus of the meater? From looking online most normal people seem to have issues in comparison to the guys who “ influence “ who seem to rave about it
I was part of the 2nd crowdfunding through IndieGoGo a couple years back. I got my first probe once they "went live" and it's still working just fine. I loved it so much I bought 2 more probes and they still work just fine as well.

The Meater comes with a few caveats though and most people don't understand those caveats. The probe communicates with the receiver via Bluetooth, which works but it has it's issues in terms of range. On my kamado I would usually get 10-15 feet of range, but on my offset smokers I think 5-7 feet was the best I could get. Once I figured out those ranges I knew where to set the receiver (or an old cell phone) and it worked just fine every time. Also the probes need to be cleaned VERY WELL to ensure that smoke residue doesn't build up; if it does it can stop the probe from charging and being able to communicate with the receiver.

Other than probe cleanliness and range I had no issues with the Meater. It's a good piece of gear, but it does have its quirks as I've explained. As long as you understand those quirks, and understand how to work with them, then you're good to go. It's nice not having to deal with the wired probes and it makes rotating meat (if necessary) much easier.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
bald
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I was part of the 2nd crowdfunding through IndieGoGo a couple years back. I got my first probe once they "went live" and it's still working just fine. I loved it so much I bought 2 more probes and they still work just fine as well.

The Meater comes with a few caveats though and most people don't understand those caveats. The probe communicates with the receiver via Bluetooth, which works but it has it's issues in terms of range. On my kamado I would usually get 10-15 feet of range, but on my offset smokers I think 5-7 feet was the best I could get. Once I figured out those ranges I knew where to set the receiver (or an old cell phone) and it worked just fine every time. Also the probes need to be cleaned VERY WELL to ensure that smoke residue doesn't build up; if it does it can stop the probe from charging and being able to communicate with the receiver.

Other than probe cleanliness and range I had no issues with the Meater. It's a good piece of gear, but it does have its quirks as I've explained. As long as you understand those quirks, and understand how to work with them, then you're good to go. It's nice not having to deal with the wired probes and it makes rotating meat (if necessary) much easier.

Thanks, definitely a good shout for a rotisserie, I like the idea of the predicted cook and rest time as well
bald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post

Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping. I kinda knew about the bluetooth thing and was already planning on keeping the Block close to the cooker. I know there are also longevity of the charge issues and won't do well on 12+ hour cooks, so I guess I won't be using it on those. For the Rotisserie though, they'll be perfect. I also like the idea of no wires hanging all over the place. As long as everything stays connected, I think the Block will be nice to have and use.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I haven't done a super long cook in a while, but I know I've done 12+ hours cooks and had no issues with the probes running out of charge.

@Bald : The predicted cook times work well for things like steaks, but they don't work very well for BBQ meats like brisket or pork butt. I never payed attention to it because I have a pretty good idea how long it takes to cook a piece of meat, but I do recall seeing it say "3 hours left" after I put it on the cooker for 20 minutes at 225°. haha It would update and change during the cook, but it didn't predict cook times very well at all.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #11
Ducksmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

I’ve had the block since they first started shipping, I was in on the first wave on kickstarter..

I really like mine. Haven’t had any problems with the probes lasting for 12+ hour cooks. I do remove the AA batteries from the block when not in use. I leave the usb power plugged into the block when not using it.
Ducksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.