MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Trip to the local butcher shop $$

I am not bashing my local shop but just wanted to post some prices for conversation and comparison to elsewhere.

Brisket $3.19
Short Ribs $4.69
Chuck $4.39
Tri-Tip $7.89
Flap Meat $7.49
Porterhouse $9.19
Pork Shoulder $1.29
Baby Backs, frozen $4.29
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

If they are carving it off a carcass in front of you those are good prices, if they are opening a box in the walk in walk away. JM2C here but a Butcher Shop custom cuts from the animal, anything other than that is just a Meat market. If there is a doubt in your mind ask to see in the walk-in, put them to a test ask them to grind meat to your blend and specs.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Is that for prime cuts? If so, might not be too out of whack. The pig prices seem a little high...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

The price on pork shoulder looks good. All beef prices need more info. ungraded, select, choice, prime, etc. Are their briskets full packers just like you would get in a regular grocery store? ETC. Not enough info in the post.

Tri tip, is it nicely trimmed choice or prime? Or is is untrimmed? See the difference? If you are getting it all trimmed up, you are paying for all meat, instead of 20% fat that gets tossed during the trim.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

If they don't have it or you don't like what they have in the display case they will go out back and and cut to order.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
El Ropo

Even brisket?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

The brisket was a full packer in the cryo bag, I did not look at the grade, All the other cuts of beef were in the display case and I did not ask what grade.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
El Ropo

If they are selling brisket in cryo, it's the same exact stuff you can get at your local grocery store. I was just in my local HEB and they had beautiful looking CAB choice packers for $2.18/lb. It's not often they get CAB choice, the supplier must of been out of the ungraded "swift" brand the store usually stocks.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

You realize at a butcher shop your paying for more than the meat right? Got to keep that in perspective. Are they courteous? Knowledgeable? Every person behind the counter is payed in local dollars
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
You realize at a butcher shop your paying for more than the meat right? Got to keep that in perspective. Are they courteous? Knowledgeable? Every person behind the counter is payed in local dollars

I try hard to maintain a good relationship with our local Butcher/ Meat market. I buy 90% of my meat from his shop If he has some better meat that is in the back he will let me know when I am picking up whatever it is I am buying.

His prices are slightly higher, but I rather support a local business then a big chain. When I took my product commercial he was one of the first to stock it.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Marrs
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageford View Post
I am not bashing my local shop but just wanted to post some prices for conversation and comparison to elsewhere.

Brisket $3.19
Short Ribs $4.69
Chuck $4.39
Tri-Tip $7.89
Flap Meat $7.49
Porterhouse $9.19
Pork Shoulder $1.29
Baby Backs, frozen $4.29
Unfortunately, for the most part those prices are lower than our grocery stores here.... *&$#*

WSM 22.5 modified, Mini WSM. 22.5 OTG. Genesis Silver. Flowerpot Tandoor 19. Proud Supporter of Operation BBQ Relief!
Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
El Ropo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Yeah, but when they try to sell you the same brisket packers for twice the price as the place down the street, I lose respect. Same goes for cryo'd pork ribs. I don't care what currency they are getting paid, it doesn't give them the right to bend me over.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Nice price on the brisket and pork butt relative to my location anyway. Our store is selling brisket for $6.99/lb and butts for $1.99.

Although they did just have a sale on ribs the past two weeks. Baby backs for $2.49 and full twin-pack spares for $1.50. Needless to say, I loaded the freezers.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I have established a relationship with my butcher. I have been going there since 1967. I was only 10 and my mother was forced to drive. Actually, I was forced to ride. My point is this, we all need to get back to basics. My butcher is my friend and he is the son of my mothers butcher. Stop paying for gas at the pump and actually go inside and meet the owner. Network, ( I hate that buzz word) but I know for me, here in Florida, during hurricane season I can have just about anything I want stored onsite by my local butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers. Price is not included

Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't get me wrong I like the store and they are always helpful. I was just curious about what people were paying in there area and thought it would make good conversation.